Petition: Introduce a moratorium on the hunting of critically declining wading birds

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by celaurie, Jan 13, 2017.

1. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Woodcock, Snipe and Golden Plover are shot in the UK despite serious, ongoing population declines. A moratorium should be imposed to allow the impact of shooting to be established by independent scientific investigation and any necessary regulations introduced to ensure that shooting is sustainable.

BTO, JNCC and RSPB Bird Trends data report a 76% decline in Woodcock in the last 25 years. Although the wintering population is increased by migrants, BTO and GWCT studies of shot birds report that 17% are UK residents. It is Red Listed. In the same period Snipe (Amber listed) have declined by 89%. Between '93 and '13 Golden Plover decreased by 17% in England and 25% in Scotland. Continuing to harvest species in such steep decline is perilous and counterproductive to conservation practices.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/167410

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I know we in Scotland depend somewhat on hunting for the economy, but there are better species of birds to hunt. Besides, if the hunting continues, it will be self-limiting anyway once the birds are extinct.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Where I grew up in the US, woodcock and snipe are the same bird. We also called them timberdoodle. They are notoriously difficult to hit, what with their crazy flying style and acrobatics. We usually hunted them with a .410.

4. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

The sad thing is that wading birds are openly hunted in Scotland on marshes and in farmland - often being shot at by groups with larger bore shotguns which are rarely precise and often handled by novices.

The hunt is rarely targeted and birds are taken without consideration. In recent years, I've personally had to euthanise several 'winged' birds that are just left to die because those doing the shooting don't care about collecting their quarry, or indeed are such a bad shot that they are not aware of the fact they have injured and downed a bird.

I wont get into the ethics of shooting, per say, but I feel when a species is in marked decline it's time to start changing our habits towards it. Perhaps thinking about better legislation, minimisation of shooting seasons and better management thereof, coupled with more education for those that might be part of the problem would help.

Of course, there other factors affecting the decline of many birds, not just wader. These include habitat loss, habitat mismanagement and wider environmental factors but as this petition is on the go for the UK Parliament to take note of with specific relation to hunting I feel that it is only right to help promote it as widely as possible and help to maximise the audience.

5. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The aforementioned timberdoodle, snipe, and woodcock are forest birds in the U.S. As far as I know shorebirds aren't legal game birds. Any hunter who does not make an honest effort to collect their wounded quarry is a scoundrel.

6. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

The Value of Shooting (2014) by Public and Corporate Economic Consultants stated that the value to Scotland of shoot was between £180 and 200 million per year. These figures included clay pigeon shoots, which I suspect make up a large proportion of the figure.

Interestingly, and just as a comparison, in Valuing Nature Based Tourism in Scotland (2011) stated that, "The value to Scotland’s economy (the direct economic impact) of nature based tourism is £1.4 billion per year."

Based on that, I think there are better ways to generate income than blasting everything out the sky.

Hunting an animal to extinction isn't a way to ensure it's conservation it just means humanity takes one step closer to the same fate.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2017 ---
    I like that! Scoundrels!

Just to be clear I was referring to my personal experience of shooting I have seen here which occurs near or on the coast.

Snipe generally can be found on bog, marsh, swamp, wetland, river banks and ponds and tend avoid dense vegetation, but rather seek marshy areas with patchy cover to hide from predators. It is currently legal to shoot them in Scotland Aug 12 – Jan 31

As the name implies, Woodcock are woodland birds. They feed at night or in the evenings, searching for invertebrates in soft ground with their long bills which is more oft than not in soft mud fields near wetland. During the day, the roost in woodland. Their habit and camouflaged plumage makes it difficult to see them when they are resting at the base of trees or bushes. They can be shot in Scotland Sep 1 – Jan 31.

7. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Woodcock are basically Northern Hemisphere kiwi.

Say, does New Zealand have a kiwi season?

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

What kind of natural predators are they facing? In a lot of areas of the US feral cats are pretty harmful to the bird populations.

9. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Lets open up Cat Season. Our bird, chipmunk, and squirrel population has been severely diminished in our area due to the cat population. Strangle I've seen a lot more mice around. I told my wife to stop feeding the birds near us because it just makes them easy prey for the stupid cats, who kill just for sport.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

SSS and you might cut down the number of feral cats.

11. celaurie thread starter macrumors 6502a

celaurie

An ongoing study by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB) released preliminary findings based upon a study into Lapwing and Redshank in the paper Who are the predators of the chicks of breeding waders? (2011)

"The results of this detective work, and from linking predation events with the observed presence of predators, identified the species primarily responsible for chick mortality as foxes, raptors (kestrels & marsh harriers) and mustelids (stoats & weasels)."

Assumably, similar predation is experienced by Woodcock and Snipe.

In 2003 and 2013, the Game and Conservation Wildlife Trust (GCWT) in conjunction with the British Trust for Ornithology (BTO) carried out extensive UK wide surveys into Woodcock breeding success citing both habitat loss and hunting as drivers for decline. The results were published in the paper Current status and recent trend of the Eurasian Woodcock Scolopax rusticola as a breeding bird in Britain (2015).

Arkive notes that Snipe face several issues in their survival:

"Although the Common Snipe has an extremely large range and a large population, which may be as high as several million birds, this species is declining across much of its range. This is largely due to the conversion and drainage of wetlands, with lower water levels shortening the length of the common snipe’s breeding season and altering the availability of prey. Some island populations are also threatened by nest predation by introduced predators, such as hedgehogs, while other populations are threatened by pollution, peat-extraction and changing land-management practices leading to scrub overgrowth. The Common Snipe is also regularly hunted for food and sport, with over a million birds killed annually in Europe and around half a million in the United States."

We don't have many native wildcat populations left in the UK, however domestic cats are understood to be non-discriminating hunter. Domestic Cat Predation on Wildlife (2016)

12. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

It's always cat season in my neighborhood. Funny thing is the coyotes always get the blame.

13. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

SSS?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2017 ---
    Can the coyotes in your area shoot .22s?

14. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Shoot, Shovel, Shut-Up

15. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

I've hunted before and I'm fine with it for food. But ending a life for my own convienence is not something I'm comfortable with. What do you think I am, a DNC member?

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Trump says it's a liberal conspiracy to hurt his image. A group of conservatives saw a flock fly by, so it has to be made up. :rolleyes:

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

It's not for your convenience it's for the birds.

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Only from ACME.