Petition to end politics, religion, social issues

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bopajuice, May 29, 2017.

?

Get rid of Politics, Religion, Social issues

Poll closed Jun 1, 2017.
  1. Yes

14.7%
  2. No

85.3%
  1. bopajuice macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

i would like to suggest doing away with the politics, religion, and social issues topic on Mac Rumors. Or at least create a seperate forum for that sort of thing. Call it Trump rumors or whatever. I feel it has no place on a computer website about Apple computers.

I am guilty of posting to this thread, because I feel compelled to respond to this nonsense I read. Some of the titles are ridiculous. Way too many people spend all their time on this Forum about "computers" only posting about politics. Sometimes it seems there are more political threads than computer threads.

It is taking away from the reason we are here. After all Apple promoted the "think different" idea. In this case politics is anything but.

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

NO...Technically speaking this is a separate section. No one is forcing you to visit and participate in this section. If you don't like it, simple don't join in. But to suggest that others here shouldn't be able to have this section simple because you feel it doesn't belong is selfish and ignorant.

3. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

You'd lose about a third of participants on this website. Tech is so saturated and boring right now I don't know how this place would get as much traffic.

The section does need cleaning up however and I wish we could do away with the assumption all issues are American-centric.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I am also going to say no, because while this section of the forum can become heated, this does give others from around the world a chance to glimpse into what is politically, culturally, or religiously going on in other parts of the world. Would there honestly be talk of the French Election, the German election, or the Brexit referendum anywhere else that doesn't turn into a major slugfest that would belong better at 4chan, or Slashdot?

To be honest, we aren't doing too bad here, compared to other places that are definitely more vile.

BL.

5. Zenithal Suspended

Have you seen the other portions of this site? Far more cutthroat than this section. Far more.

6. bopajuice thread starter macrumors 6502a

bopajuice

I'd love to talk about world issues, but the regulars would turn it into something else. I feel it's out of hand. I used to frequent the comments section of NPR and it was the same way. The same closed minded people posting the same nonsense. NPR shut down their comments section completely. I feel it was due to the nastiness and toxic environment it had become. Same is happening here.
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2017 ---
    That third you are talking about never post anything about computers let alone Apple. Look at some of their history. Why do it here? I say create a seperate site.
    --- Post Merged, May 29, 2017 ---
    How is it ignorant? I am fully aware of what my suggestion implies.

7. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

I, too, vote No.
    I feel PRSI is a lot less toxic than other fora or the comments sections of any news sites, which I have visited.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I think a good solution to anybody not enjoying PRSI is to simply avoid this section and just use the threads that are less argumentative. It's a busy sub forum and I don't see the advantage of getting rid of it. I post mainly in it now as I rarely have iPhone related questions anymore. I'll vote No in the poll.

9. adrianlondon macrumors 6502a

At the top, underneath the "Post New Thread" button, click "Ignore Forum". Voila! It's gone.

10. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

[​IMG]

Fixed!

11. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

A lot of my recent posting on MacRumors (recent as defined as the last two years or so) has been in response to my frustration with the current selection of desktop hardware available from Apple. Then the American presidential election came around, and a lot of my more recent posting has been in response to my frustration with the selection of candidates available.

I am guilty of using this site as an outlet for my frustrations. That said, it has been a valuable outlet for me, so I also vote "no"; I'd hate to see this forum disappear...

12. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Vote: no

This forum serves a purpose.

13. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

You're making a suggestion to close down a particularly hot sub on this forum, which would have an effect on hundreds of other users, simply because you don't think it belongs. Instead of taking yourself out of the equation, which would be the more prudent move. I and I'm willing to bet many others, come to this forum because of this sub, so why would you think it would be better for us to lose something we enjoy over the simple fact that you don't think it belongs? That comes off as ignorant.

14. Scepticalscribe, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'm pretty much in agreement with almost everyone who has posted here, and would not favour closing down PRSI.

Now, I agree with @The-Real-Deal82 that the site in general, - and PRSI - and some of the community sections such as Current Affairs - in particular, are far too American-centric, but, while I sigh about this, it is exceptionally instructive in letting me know what people think and why they think it in a part of the world with which I am not familiar.

Besides, Apple - and the business world in general - does not live in a social, cultural, economic, legal or political vacuum. Business effortlessly reassures itself with the comforting and cosy fiction that it is entirely 'objective' - operates simply and solely in a market environment - and is fully separate from the political sphere; not only is this deliberately delusional - it is a bare faced lie.

This is because - for example - Apple avails of low cost labour, and generous corporate tax loop-holes elsewhere - and these are political issues and commercial choices. If we are to exclude them when considering the purchase of a computer, and focus solely on design and specs, then, maybe we are running the risk of missing matters such as what happens in a wider context.

Moreover, I would argue that some Apple sections of the site are tediously boring - and sometimes overflowing with what the Star Trek Next Generation cast used to describe as 'techno-babble' when given a wall of incomprehensible technical sounding gobbledegook to learn off by heart before the next episode starting shooting.

Then, on other occasions, the Apple sections of the forum can be a minefield of incredibly emotionally charged incandescence; for example, the bizarre flame wars about iPhones are something I will never understand.

Nor, for that matter, will I understand the veneration extended to The Person of The Founder (those "If Only Steve Were Alive", or "What Would Steve Think?" threads).

So, PRSI fills a role - a most useful one - in helping to explain the United States - otherwise an inexplicably strange country - to me.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I wouldn't be here if it weren't for PRSI.

Like any media channel ... if you don't like the content, just change the channel.

16. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Yes, but only because the forum rules allow for nut jobs to talk **** and get away with it, while reasonable folks get banned for any little thing.

Make it a verbal free for all, and I'd be for it staying. I got banned around 8 times already for things like "this is silly". I confess, I reported a post from another forum member, JUUUUUUUUST to see if they'd get banned, and they did. The post wasn't even "that" bad, just irritating.

I've seen far worse posts not earn the ban, because people aren't reporting. So some guy calls your mother a ****, gets away with it because everyone over looks it, then you call him a piece of **** for that, and he reports you, then you get banned.

This forum is a ****'n JOKE, as far as it's rules are concerned.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Only reason I come here, nothing innovative coming out of Apple for years.

18. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Posting here is a privilege and not compulsory. If you can't follow the rules or have respect for the mods then it's probably best to source a new outlet.

It gets heated in here at times but it's anonymous debate. If anybody is getting as worked up as you evidently are then you have to ask yourself if it's really worth the effort? If a thread starts to annoy me I just walk away. The mods don't ban people without good reason either.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I get that people who do not post here often would be taken aback at the heated nature of debates in PRSI, and it is true that most people here are dogmatic (myself included). However I voted 'no'. If you do not like the tone of the debate in PRSI, then don't visit these threads, and if you do not like the posts of a particular person you can put them on your 'Ignore list'. That being said, we need to keep the tone of discussions civil. Occasionally, it seems I have crossed a line and been rebuked by the mods ( :oops:, all I can say it that it seemed like a good idea at the time). The fact that the mods do keep on top of things is one of the best aspects of MR.

I like MR because I have used Apple products since the 1980's. However, I also enjoy the conversations I have here in PRSI because the people here tend to be smarter and more educated (formally or informally) than any other group I know. The applies even to the right-wingers we have here. :p

Politics, social issues, and even religion permeates every aspect of our life, including technology, even if we wished they didn't.

@Mods: Finally, shouldn't this thread go in the 'Site and Forum Feedback' section?

20. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

Not arguing that I have a right to post here. That's a given. Just like I don't have a right to carry my firearm in a private business. No problem with that. But I DO have the right to complain about how I think the rules are stupid as hell.

And it's not evident that I get worked up. I laugh 9 times out of ten and respond like a smart ass, or with jokes half the time. That's one of those assuming things people say to try and work someone up though... ;p

21. cube macrumors G5

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If you think this forum is too contentious, you ought to try the news commentary sections of some other websites. That stuff can get so vicious you just weep at how mean-spirited people can be.

There are times I need to step away from PRSI for a bit, as I did this post-election. There are other times we've been over the same ground so many times I don't care to repeat myself again. (I've been here for over thirteen years.) Some people are just inane, and others have admitted trying to bait me, and those people aren't worth my time; they go on my ignore list.

And as adrianlondon mentioned, you can just ignore the entire forum.

So no, I'm for keeping it. Sure, the topics can get petty. (Trump uses wrong salad fork!) But I learn some interesting things here too...particularly from our friends outside the US, who often bring interesting perspectives to the discussions.

It's worth putting up with the silliness. And when it gets to be too much, I just don't participate in that topic.

(BTW, I do occasionally poke my nose out of this forum. Anybody want to discuss Gotham? :D )

23. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

I couldn't disagree more. I like the PRS section. Its a nice break from all the tech talk.

24. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

clearly not one of the reasonable ones

25. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

I voted no. I like to visit this section, and I started only recently actually.

What I like about this forum is that regardless of our, sometimes vastly, different opinions on politics, we can still have a conversation and respect each other. It may seem trivial, but I remember I had a clear disagreement with another member in PRSI a while ago, and we found ourselves giving each other advices in another section.

I think it's sane to have this section. If anything, it shows that even when we disagree (we have our opinions and it's perfectly normal to defend them, and discuss them) on something as sensitive as politics, we can still get along just fine because there's a bigger picture and we are all grownups (well...supposedly ;))

Just because some people don't share the same views as mine doesn't mean I can't learn something from them either. And vice-versa, hopefully. :)