Petition to stop celebrating Columbus's arrival in 1492.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by moonman239, Sep 20, 2012.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Ever since I was a kid, I thought of Columbus as a hero. Unfortunately, that's what the schools raise children to think. After reading the first chapter of Howard Zinn's book, "A People's History of the United States" I now see that he was a greedy man who was a proponent of slavery.

I will not stand back and let his true character be hidden. I hereby ask the US Government to remove October the 8th from their list of holidays. Furthermore, I ask the schools to stop portraying him as the man he was not.

Citizens of the US, please sign this petition if you agree with me: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/down-with-columbus-day/

2. BladesOfSteel macrumors regular

BladesOfSteel

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

So your argument is based on one book of a social activist?

Not arguing that Columbus was not the best person as some of history shows him.

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

If you try to delete every reference to someone in our country's past who was a greedy bigot then you have to clear out all the history books while you're at it. While I'm sure no one disagrees that he was a bigot, he was a product of his time and apparently managed to make history in some way since we're still mentioning his name 500 years after he was alive. Just leave it as is.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

**** that. It's one of the holidays I get off work. ;)

6. Andeavor macrumors 6502

George Washington & Co. weren't perfect angels either.

Don't pick and choose your legacies, embrace them with all their rights and wrongs.

7. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

[​IMG]

BL.

8. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

Can't wait til you get to Labor Day, Veterans Day and Memorial Day.

Come to think of it, Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day are pretty much screwed too. And, Fat Tuesday? Gone.

9. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Love the shirt. I saw this shirt in California at Knots Berry Farms. Picked it up for a relative.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

You call Columbus a bigot but want a republican president? I don't get it....

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Cool.. though I will say that if you want it, get it from the source.

You know it says a lot when you have people like Depp and Cosby wearing it. ;)

BL.

12. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

13. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The History of All Nations of the World As Judged By A 21st Century Social Progressive.

Chapter 1.

At first we were monkeys. Then evolution happened. After that, everyone was a totally racist dead animal eating closed minded theist ***hole up until December 22nd 2003. That's when some people became cool.

The End.

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

History hasn't been kind to Columbus. Even in Spain in his own day, he was considered cruel, and, that is saying something. But, I'm the wrong person to ask since I'm not into hero worship.

15. Jb07 macrumors 6502

16. 184550 Guest

There's your problem. Don't read Zinn.

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Why would you say that? I have heard that he book in question is actually used in some schools as supplementary material. As I recall, the person who told me that was a HS student in Texas. Not reading Zinn is probably not a great idea, though one should also be apprised of his agenda.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I got your back.

This is one is for you OP...

Attached Files:

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Exactly, and that's the only thing that's important. :D

20. 184550 Guest

I was going to write a long winded treatise on the ills of Zinn, but I think the three excerpts from reviews below capture my opinion of Zinn.

If I may offer up a personal anecdote; when I tell people I studied history, they immediately ask me if I've ever read Howard Zinn. I always tell them no. They tell me I should. I then ask how I'm suppose to trust someone that writes history from the viewpoint of social activism and ignores the context in which that history lies? Any freshmen history major from your local community college to Princeton to Oxford to the LSE will tell you that context is the most important aspect when evaluating and understanding history.

In my experience, people who are drawn to Zinn and sing his praises often have absolutely zero understanding of history and how to read it.

Taken from here.

21. eric/ Guest

eric/

He didn't discover America, but he was the first person to make it here to generate interest to begin colonization. He's an important historical figure.

22. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So is Chief Joseph, Amerigo Vespucci, and Leif Ericsson, yet we do not have holidays named after them, and two out of the three were here before Columbus.

And the Natives were the first to colonize, period; so that argument falls completely flat.

BL.

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I dare say, that while Zinn might question Veterans Day and Memorial Day, the others would survive, including Labor Day.

There's a tendency to overemphasize Columbus' bravery—built on the incorrect idea that sailors thought they'd sail over the edge of the world—and ignore his role in the colonization and immediate subjugation of the West Indies peoples.

So, wait you've never read Zinn, but you feel comfortable criticizing his work? I think you're correct, but don't you want to refer to the primary source?

Zinn's "People's History..." is a flawed book, but I still think it's worth reading because Zinn illuminates, in ways few histories designed for high-school students do, that the history of the United States is a story we tell ourselves and many of its myths are fairy-tales.

Ibid.

24. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

Not if you apply the OP's standard to every holiday: we should not have a holiday that honors any person who can be described as:

I said nothing about Zinn (who I read in college long ago and found, well, amusing, in a Clint Eastwood sort of way).

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm not sure if Valentine's marriage of Christian couples during the reign of Claudius counts. Was Valentine a "greedy man" and a "proponent of slavery?"

Fair enough, I thought we were using Zinn's (as the OP did) moral framework as a way to evaluate the validity of other holidays. So, with that said, why do you think St. Valentine's Day fits into the above structure?