Petraeus "Loses" 190,000 Weapons in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Aug 6, 2007.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6932710.stm
    So that's why he was promoted...

2. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Duck!

(Another "Food-for-Guns" program coming soon?)

3. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Has anyone counted the tanks lately? For crissake, do NOT take any nukes over there.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- no wonder we're having a hard time over there.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

6. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is the guy who's supposed to be turning around the occupation? I'd say it's time to start polishing that resume.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well alright, I wasn't going to say anything, but since this is turning out to be such a big deal. I've got them in my garage.

9. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

10. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

And In The "Not Only, But Also" Department...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6918536.stm
    You couldn't make it up.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Some of it's in the laundry room. Happy now?

Petraeus. Doesn't that rhyme with "betray us"?

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sounds like our own idiotic govt is arming the bad guys, Bush & Gang are running this show and it shows everyday. Only loosing 3 out of 10 weapons:rolleyes:

13. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

More Food For Thought

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/earlywarning/2007/01/the_overrated_general_petraeus.html

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

A subject resurrected. This was making the rounds some months back.

In a way, I find it somewhat amusing, from the standpoint that nothing has changed in the last 50+ years. I was a battalion-level supply clerk for some eight months of my time on occupation duty in Korea. We were supplied from a monstrously-big 8th Army QM central depot over at Yong Dong Po.

Requests for materiel go in. Some get filled. Stuff gets issued. Stuff gets lost, stolen or broken. Then the BS starts on CYA at the individual or squad level, and works its way on up. Then the inventory control people lose paperwork. Nobody knows nuttin' 'bout nuttin'. "Not me!" and "I don't know" are the two most commonly used phrases in the entire US military--and that's not really different from here in the civilian world.

And you're always trading something you have but don't need for something you need but don't have. That's all off the books.

And that doesn't even get into the incredible skills of the scroungers. :D

'Rat

15. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

This is really off-subject, but it should vanish quickly. I notice that many of you seem to post back-and-forth amongst yourselves, but rarely acknowledge my posts. I also notice many of you have join dates in 2002, 2003, etc. These are much older than mine. Is it an acceptance issue, which requires a few years? Or, are my posts outside of 'group think'?

16. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

I recognise your posts, and generally share your point of view. Keep posting. :)

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Sometimes I don't get responded to either. I usually take it as a compliment, or at least proof that I'm right if I'm not disputed. Could be worse. I've had a poster say something to the effect of "no one cares what you think" in response to a well thought out and backed up post. Must have hit a nerve, he still never disputed what I actually said. Probably didn't read it either. In my case, I rarely dispute what you say or feel the need to add anything further, so I usually don't feel the need to respond. Now if you had said something like "Clinton did it too", then we'd have a problem.

Wonder if more of our distinguished partisan hack will bother to defend this, but guessing no.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nope- I just usually agree with you. A lot of times you steal my thunder. :) That's OK.

19. Desertrat macrumors newbie

SMM, I may be an old fuddy-duddy, but your Post #3 didn't seem to me to have much to do with the problem. So, no response.

What I thought might provide a bit of perspective was that this sort of problem is not at all new. The scale seems larger, of course...

I'm amazed that more generals aren't bald, from tearing their hair out. :) This sort of problem also includes the common venality of black market activities. I had an older French guy in Paris in 1957 bemoaning the glory days of 1945, post-VE Day. He'd bought an entire battalion motor pool and profited greatly thereby.

'Rat

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Even if you were disputed I doubt you'd think you were wrong. ;)

lol, Probably me. :)

Consider this disputed by your fellow partisan hack. :rolleyes: :D

oh, and shame on the gereral for losing all those weapons. Its not like he's managing hell-on-earth or anything.

21. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I can't wait until some GI finds his Abrams up on cinder blocks in Baghdad. :D

22. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

23. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Aahh, the incredible skills of the scrounger. There is little better for unit morale and capabilities than the skills of a good scrounger. It always seemed to me that I would mention something like, "It would be nice if..." and the next day one would show up in the unit.

It's not what you know, but who you know...

24. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

The post was just a bit of humor. Having things 'disappear' in the military is definitely not a unique situation. > 100,000 weapons is a major issue. I am sure Petraeus had no involvement, including direct management. However, it did happen on his watch. I believe it warrants a significant external investigation (FBI field office sent over for example).

25. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

If he was in charge, he was involved.