Petraeus report

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Sep 11, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Kinda surprised there's no recent thread on this. I know we had the one awhile ago about what would be in it and whether or not anyone would believe it, or if it would change anything, but nothing new now that it's out and he's talking (when the mic works ;) that is). So, I'm assuming you've all been paying attention, what do you think?

For those who haven't read or listened to it, here's a link.

2. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

His summary of his report that he related on Fox last night during the slot normally occupied by Hannity and Colmes was one of the clearest and most succinct summaries I've heard in a long time. The guy exudes confidence and capability.

We're lucky we have that kind of talent at the top ranks of our military.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What some general says at home for primarily domestic audiences and a political class terrified of voter reprisal, comes as cold comfort to those whose lives are broken.

This is going to take decades to play out.

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

No major change like this is pleasant. The changes that resulted in the governments we have in the U.S or in countries like France resulted in a lot of bloodshed and suffering, but for the descendants of these people, things look pretty good in hindsight.

5. Queso macrumors G4

Both those examples came from internal uprisings. Both were caused by the will of the people whose descendants now look back fondly on the events. Neither were imposed by outsiders.

For a better comparison, how about you ask the Tibetans how fondly they remember their glorious conversion to Communism?

6. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

What I find disquieting about this report is the timing. I'm sure its no accident that the good General is speaking before the US Senate on the 6th anniversary of the terrorist attacks here in the US.

What should come as a surprise is that we are no closer to catching Bin Laden than we were 6 years ago. And no one is holding this administration accountable.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Also he's speaking at the end of the summer, before the fall when violence has historically peaked around Ramadan. Any claimed downward trends in violence are best to point out now before things heat up again.

I was struck by one of the charts he used that pointed out that we've made no progress in the last two years on getting the Iraqi military self-sufficient.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No one in this administration has given us one reason to trust them. I call BS on the basis of what I've heard from people who are/were there. There's no reason to think Petraeus is telling the truth, given the crap that's been shoved down our throats so far.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Interesting choice of venue for the supposedly non-partisan, straightshooting General to go visit after the report.

Of course the guy did write an op-ed mash note to Bush's strategy that convienently appeared shortly before the '04 elections.

But hey, he's non-partisan, right?

10. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Having been a military officer, I would like to think that a good reason to trust that he is telling us is the truth would be that he has the integrity and honor required for such a position. Unfortunately, I witnessed too many officers that didn't. :(

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

My understanding is that to rise through the ranks requires the skills of a politician. Unfortunately, devotion to the truth is not among the hallmark skills of most politicians. I would have to assume the same is true for the upper ranks of the military.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're not alone. My friends and family in the military say the same thing. It's sad that Bush has now dragged the integrity of military officers through the mud.

13. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

It wasn't Bush who ruined the integrity and honor of military officers, it was the officers who lack integrity and honor. There were dishonest officers in the Clinton military just like there are some now and I would assume that there have been dishonest officers in every president's force. Having never met Gen Petraeus, I have no idea what his character is.

14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Yeah, he sold his soul to the highest bidder, that is very, very reassuring. Too bad all the true talent has been kicked out and much of those who remain are merely partisan tools.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

There was something on NPR about the military's narrow interpretation of various events and how they scaled statistically into "sectarian violence".
    Did anyone catch that?

16. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Oh bollacks. Guys that reach four star rank don't get there during the term of a single administration. There's a certain amount of politics that goes with ANY high level job whether in the military or civilian world. It's always been that way and always will be, but that doesn't by definition mean that everyone left standing at the top is a tool.

I'm sure our servicemen and woman are thrilled to find out from you that there is no talent in their ranks.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yes. Apparently it has quite a bit to do with which side of the head the bullet enters from.

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL. They certainly painted it that way.

19. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I expected the General to do a good job, and he did. He is a very bright man, who would have succeeded just about anywhere in life. As an active duty soldier, he is sworn to defend the Country and support its' Commander-In-Chief. I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that the General would not be drawn into collusion. The disease is within the WH. This was Cheney's last ace to play (with exceptions). If the General does not capture enough support (and I do not think he can), their next moves may become ugly.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bush's plan sucks, I like Bidens plan break it up into 3 with a loose federal govt spreading the wealth.

21. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

By definition? No. In this administration? Yes. Are you forgetting how many of them have left or were kicked out who are now very critical of Bush and the war. The ones left either say nothing or parrot the administration. Which is what Petraeus is doing. We're disappointed because we were hoping for something more, but have been hearing for awhile now that he'll just be giving us the same talking points, which is exactly what he wound up doing. It's the same old spiel, and we're sick of it. We're sick of Iraq. We aren't winning, more time and more deaths isn't going to change that. No matter how much they cherry pick the data to make us think it will. And they did cherry pick the data, don't be fooled into thinking it was at all accurate. Get your news from almost anywhere but Fox, and you'd see that.

Maybe you want to keep waiting, keep letting people die, keep telling yourself we can win this, but the fact is we aren't winning. We aren't even getting ahead. Violence is actually up. There is no viable political solution. Things are only getting worse, and will continue to do so. And at this point, nothing is going to change that, no matter what someone who turns out to be a political crony says.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

From an exchange between Sen. Warner and Gen. Betrayus:

23. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

How is he "Betrayus" if he is telling us that he believes something is the best course of action but he doesn't really know if it will make america safer. It seems he is being open and honest and not trying to use the WH's lines about making america safer.

24. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I can't find the link now, but did anyone catch Jon Stewart's reaction to the Patraeus report? It's a sad state of affairs when a comedy news show is only one willing to look past the ******** and call people out when they need to be called out.

Jon Stewart commentary

EDIT: While looking for the video, I found this interesting article in which Adm. Fallon says Patraeus is a "kiss-ass little chicken ****".

Oh, and aparently Patraeus and Crocker gave an exclusive hour-long interview to Fox after the first day of testimony. How bi-partisan of them. :rolleyes:

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/09/12/webb-fallon/

I can't believe people fall for this ******** facade the media built up for Patraeus.

25. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

He is "Betrayus" because he gets his orders from the White House. In his report he used almost the same exact phrases that Bush used in the past, word-for word. He isn't being honest and he isn't being open. He is a political hack appointed to his position because Bush needed someone loyal to toe the company line.