Pew Survey Finds Most Knowledgeable Americans Watch 'Daily Show' and 'Colbert'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Apr 17, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

e&p

2. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

That's because the "fake" news forces you to think about the issues from a different perspective than the straight brainwashing you get from the other networks.

3. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i believe that causality was not a part of the study.

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Just wanted to go ahead and highlight this sentence before the inevitable idiocy sets in for this thread.

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I had heard this on NPR yesterday. I thought it was hilarious.

I watch The Daily Show and The Colbert Report, and I pick up a copy of the NYT every Monday through Friday. I must have a wealth of knowledge on current events. ;)

Isn't the second study done that confirms this? I could have sworn I'd heard this information presented somewhere else before.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

"Fox News viewers supported George Bush over John Kerry by 88% to 7%. No demographic segment, other than Republicans, was as united in supporting Bush. Conservatives, white evangelical Christians, gun owners, and supporters of the Iraq war all gave Bush fewer votes than did regular Fox News viewers."

More "inevitable idiocy".

7. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, 24 isn't Fox News is it? :D

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Surprised: that men scored higher than women, and there were more Democrats in the "least aware" category than Republicans.*

Not surprised: that Fox News watchers were nearly the least knowledgeable group.

* Only reason I can think of for this is that many more Republicans listen to radio hate shows and are therefore exposed to the names of members of our government over and over. It seems most of the questions were not about their understanding of issues but involved rote memorization of the jobs of people like Cheney and Condi Rice.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Not surprised: At your reactions.

OMG.

Ahh, yet another thread about how morons watch FNC and real intellectuals watch The Daily Show. :rolleyes: Give me a break!

Somebody interviews 1500 retards and BANG it instantly confirms all your assumptions about the media viewing habits of half country and those oh so disillusioned right-wingers. Can you say spoonfed? Someone out there knows that you'll eat this up and they can sell advertising because of it. You're accusing people that watch FNC of doing something you yourselves are doing. It astonishes me that you don't see it or are too proud to admit it.

You guys really should try thinking outside the box. Change the channel once in a while. Look out a window!

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Love the way you move from specific complaint to a general attack on "you guys" based on one person's comments.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well its intentional. The proverbial "you" didn't mean just mean our colleague Mr. Veil.

Is there something about "inevitable idiocy" that I'm not catching?

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Just who are "you guys"? The Daily Show is comedy. Period. I wonder how many dumba** conservatives understand that Limbaugh is the same thing.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Of course, no one wants to admit being a Republican nowadays. :p

Seriously though, I was a little surprised by this too because I tend to see the opposite, especially with the Fox News viewing/right wing radio listening folks. So many seem to believe what turns out to be lies. Slant, I get, but outright made up stuff, I don't. But they do seem to know who people are, I'll give them that. I know some who would consider themselves quite liberal who don't, but then, most of them don't vote and wouldn't even pretend to know what's going on. They like those entertainment shows and wouldn't even get half the references on TDS or CR.

And to be honest, the most well informed seem to be Independents.

Where does it say that? :confused: It doesn't even imply it. Just says that Daily Show and Colbert Report viewers, as well as those who listen to NPR, are more informed than others. And it isn't the first saying that. Those who watch morning shows seem to be the morons. :p

Who's retarded? Some of them knew the answers. I like that you spelled disillusioned wrong though. I don't think it means what you think it does BTW. We're disillusioned. I think you meant deluded. ;)

And yeah, if you still believe Iraq has WMDs, Saddam had a part in 9/11, the people we put in places like Gitmo and Abu Ghraib are all terrorists that we didn't pay warlords to kidnap (you'd be amazed at how many people didn't know about that one), or that O'Reilly is a serious journalist, you are deluded. At least we know Stewart and Colbert are comedians. It is Comedy Central. What's Fox's excuse?

Lying?

I watch lots of channels, and have a nice big window right here in my living room. I can appreciate HardBall (sometimes), Countdown, and Scarborough Country. I can see or hear something, then go look it up for the real story on various different web sites, that aren't made by Drudge or Malkin, or anyone from Air America if that matters (I find most of them dull, but at least they aren't notorious liars).

Not that I blame the right for having to lie at the moment, given what their guys have been up to in the last couple of years. But they should take a cue from Scarborough and remember what being a Republican is supposed to mean before they lose all of their credibility. Hoping the "liberal" media doesn't do that type of thing too when the Dems are back in (even more) power, but they have a lot to prove and the bar's been set pretty low, not to mention the fact that they don't mind attacking their own (if they actually do anything that is) so I'm not too worried.

Not really our fault if Fox News and their talking heads are liars and entertainers disguised as journalism... perhaps their audience should expect better the way Air America's (lack of) do.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Which occurance of it are you refering to?

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I see. So the people you watch on MSNBC are real journalists and Fox News is just a bunch of flashing lights to keep people occupied? Have you ever even watched FNC? The truth is that MSNBC uses the same tricks that every other news channel uses to keep their audience occupied and regurgitating the same old rhetoric. This "survey" just plays right into that.

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'm not sure how many real journalists there are anymore. The public knows little about how a Brian Williams or a Charlie Gibson genuinely feels about the news. While many of them nominally still make their own decisions about what news to report and how, they all know that Corporate expects them to emphasize style over substance, and to avoid offending the Powers That Be.

Yet Fox stands alone in that they are not merely chasing ratings points and sucking up to corporate America and politicians; they are actively dedicated to promoting a particular political point of view.

As far as the notion goes that Fox News viewers are less informed/more disinformed than the general public, heck, this is like the third study I've seen that's come to the same conclusion. Did you really expect that the one network whose agenda is to spin the news would have the most informed viewers?

17. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

I disagree. The Daily Show is is comedy, but that's not all it is. Probably the best thing it does is highlight the irony and the hypocrisy of politics (and other subjects), and THAT is what makes it funny, but I think the creators' main intent is to inform. Seriously, you can't watch a weeks worth of The Daily Show and not understand what has gone on in the world.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

What about those of us who don't watch tv? I wonder if they tracked those numbers or are there simply too few of us?

Anyway, all this harrumphing about liberal/conservative ignores that point that there's a whole lot of ignorant Americans out there.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, yeah. Certainly not everyone. I wouldn't trust everyone on MSNBC over anyone on FOX. Nor do I agree with everything the big 4 at MSNBC say (Russert, Matthews, Olbermann, Scarborough - former Republican Congressman Joe was BTW). I don't trust any talking head on any network. Even Stewart, who I've disagree with (or agreed with in Colbert's case). But FOX is known for not only spinning the news and being ratings whores, they've been caught regularly making things up. Literally, lying. Flat out. On a regular basis. Even won the right to do so in court. And their viewers believe it.

Didn't you wonder why these things keep showing that?

Yes. Unfortunately. And I've had to talk to people who get all their news from them. Why do you think I dislike them so much? It's one things to be an opinionated partisan hack, but they should at least be informed first. :rolleyes:

Tricks? Maybe. Never said they weren't ratings whores like the rest of them. Spinning for both sides, disingenuous outrage, long winded editorials that don't go anywhere or make any points, way too much Anna Nicole. Even the local news does that. Especially the local news does that. But the people who take what O'Reilly and Hannity say as gospel have been proven time and time again to be severely misinformed. Even if they know who people are. Even worse than those who watch the talking heads on other networks. But not DS and CR viewers, who have to know what's going on to get the joke.

Were there WMDs in Iraq? Was Saddam responsible for 9/11? Was everyone in Gitmo or AG a terrorist? Was Mark Foley a Democrat? If you watched FOX News, you'd get those questions wrong. And that's just a small part of a long list.

Maybe there's a reason these surveys all say the same thing. ;)

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I have never seen a positive for those questions on FNC.

21. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If that is your impression of Fox News, then this should be your impression of MSNBC.

Obama is great as "Captain United"

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Like him or not but O' Reilly is still on top of the ratings. Enough people must like what he says. The fact is none of them are journalist and only have to give their opinions.

23. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

you might want to check that...

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Then you haven't been paying attention.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,200499,00.html
    http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1577
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,195952,00.html
    http://www.google.com/search?num=10...&q=fox+news+Mark+Foley+a+Democrat&btnG=Search

If all you've got as a rebuttal is a bad cartoon, I'd say you were reaching. I don't have an impression of FOX News. I know what they do. I've suggested before that you should see Outfoxed. I know you think it's propaganda, but you might learn something.

But most of them will give opinion based on fact. O'Reilly knowingly lies. On a regular basis. That doesn't bother you?

And as far as him having high ratings, that doesn't make him right. Just popular. There's a difference.

For another fun thing that I just know some of you are going to think is more propaganda without actually reading, here's a psychological study of the difference between liberals and conservatives:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/index.php?term=pto-20061222-000001&page=1

I could have told you that.

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Actually it sounds like you do have an impression. My point is that the "survey" is total bullsh*t. I still watch all three of the news channels, and the trick is to watch yourself, and see how you react when the host says something you disagree with. Does it bring out hate or something else. Keith Olbermann's sign off every night "*** days since "mission accomplished"", that may be funny for the first 20 times he says it, but the longer it goes on it damages credibility because reporting shouldn't be based hatred or sarcasm.

Those links you provide look more like mistakes rather than some agenda. Do you really think there is a guy in a suit standing over the shoulder of the chyron operator telling him to "change that 'R' to a 'D'"? No. I'd be more impressed if you posted mistakes by all three networks.

Overall you should be incredulous of everyting you watch AND the "surveys" that people post. :)