Phantom iMessages showing, please help

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djearlybird, Oct 27, 2013.

1. djearlybird macrumors regular

Ok I need some help, I'm stumped. My girlfriends iPhone 5 is showing 11 messages in the red bubble on the homescreen. When you open Messages, none of the messages have a blue circle in front of them indicating an unread message. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the red bubble showing 11. I logged her out of iMessage thinking that might help but no. A restart didn't either. Suggestions???

2. dspalton macrumors 6502a

Try to deactivate iMessage then reactivate again

Dave

3. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I turned it off and then back on, nothing. Settings->iMessage

4. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Perhaps he meant that you should try deactivating from Apple.com and then reactivating as opposed to toggling OFF/ON? IDK for sure.

5. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

Her iPad is not showing any unread messages, just the phone.

6. wepiii macrumors 6502a

Open the messages app, hold down power button until slide to power off comes up, let go of power button, press and hold home button until app restarts. Now press power button and home button together until phone restarts. Should fix it.

If not, you will need to do the above, and then go into messages and open each message thread. Reopening them will normally clear the indicator as well.

7. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I followed the steps. Didn't work.

Then I went thru every iMessage, and opened and closed each one. Still showing 11 unread.

If she gets a new text, it goes to 12, after she reads it, it goes back to 11. Completely stumped here.

8. HenryBishop macrumors member

This happens to me on occasion. What works for me if I just close the app, disabling it (double clicking the home button and swiping imessage up, closing it) and then opening it up again. The messages should populate after that.

9. wepiii macrumors 6502a

One of the threads must be corrupted somehow. Is deleting all the threads an option?

10. djearlybird thread starter macrumors regular

That did it. Just started from the top and deleted the conversations one by one. Sure enough after the 3rd one it was all back to normal. Thanks for the suggestions!!!!!!!

11. tkmcguire1 macrumors 6502

tkmcguire1

I keep getting phantom messages too,they keep showing up 3 or 4 at a time and all there is is a bunch of random letters and numbers that make no since.