Pharmaceuticals in YOUR drinking water

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by maxrobertson, Mar 9, 2008.

1. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080309/ap_on_re_us/pharmawater_i

This article is pretty scary. I never really thought about the fact that our body's don't absorb all of the medicine in the pills we take, and I'm sure very few people do. You've got to wonder what the affects are on people and wildlife. Do you guys think this is just one of those scare articles so the newspapers can sell more copies and Yahoo can get more ad revenue, or is it something to be concerned about?

2. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

This is nothing new.
    Drinking water is contaminated everywhere.
    My local water for example is very high in estrogen for a natural source. :eek:

Not a scare tactic more like a wake up call.

3. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

4. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

another reason why i'm glad our house water comes straight from the well. it's not perfect, but it's better than drinking old tampons...

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

and how often do you have it tasted for metals and POP's ?

here anyone using well water is required to test once a year.

I am still waiting for the organic bagged air. :D

Organic does not equal toxin free.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

"I don't trust air you can't see..." :p

(sorry, had to qoute some guys sig from a long time ago..)

7. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

The article is quite long and I couldn't skim to find the part that says WHY those things would be in the water supply. Any answers there?

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Isn't it because people are taking more and more drugs, go pee, then flush it.

wait.... ok here:

The only time I drink tap water is when I take a little after brushing my teeth. Most drugs that enter my body are in smoke form. :D

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ WTF?! Flushed water being piped back? I suppose I was naive to think that is repulsive and that no one would do that. http://upc.*************/uploads/smilies/2-no-no-no.gif

10. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Luckily Chicago gets it's water from the Great Lakes. We only have to deal with the tons of toxic waste & ammonia dumped there by British Petroleum. :rolleyes:

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

12. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

don't know if it's any better, but i only drink TJ's mountain spring water unless i run out.

how ironic! water itself is inorganic! :D

13. Karstan macrumors member

now that's something to think about next time i'm in the shower running water on my face! ewww...recycled pee! :eek: yummy;)

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

I guess for having to deal with tourists for 7 months of out the year, being one of the three cities with nothing found in the water is a fair trade. :)

15. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Many cities draw their drinking water from the same rivers, lakes or groundwater sources that the cities and farms 'upstream' have dumped their waste into.

We're lucky in Victoria because the regional district owns the lakes and virtually all of the drainage area that fills them and keeps them as parkland. And our waste system dumps into the ocean (not so lucky for the ocean). So we only have deer %%%% and goose %%%% to worry about.

Other sources of drugs and chemicals in the water system are people flushing the remainder of unused or outdated prescriptions (plus the panicked flushing of 'non-prescription' medications when a loud knocking comes at the door), dumping of oils, household chemicals and antifreeze, leachate from municipal landfills, industrial waste and dumps, and fertilizer, animal waste and pesticide runoff from agriculture -- these leaching and runoff are particularly bad for groundwater, where wells miles away can be contaminated.

Err... you know that unless you have some very expensive filtering system there, it doesn't do a terribly good job at removing chemicals?

17. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Though it didn't seem to be mentioned in the article, I've also heard that drugs get in the water supply because a lot of people get rid of old or expired, unused medications by flushing them down the toilet, and following the piping back method that obeygiant linked above, we end up drinking them.

18. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I just saw this on CNN, and you need to take things like this and air crashes, murders, etc. into reality:

Nobody's dropped dead from drinking tap water because there are traces of pills in it.

The power of the media these days....:rolleyes:

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

This explains my constant 6 hour erections, acne clear-up, fatigue, and my body-hair falling off.

20. Karstan macrumors member

maybe it's a conspiracy to enlarge the breasts of america! :D

21. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

And where do you think the treated waste water is pumped to? ;)

People here are expressing disbelief that treated wastewater is making it's way back into the drinking water. My Father ran a waste treatment facility. The treated waste water is usually pumped right back into the same place that they get the drinking water from. So it's inevitable that some will make it's way back.

My Dad said they used to run a test for anyone to see that toured the facility. The water they were pumping out was cleaner than the water they were pumping in. And in fact, you could drink it. Don't know if I'd go that far... but that's what he said.

22. fuzzynavo macrumors regular

gotta agree completely.

of all the things to worry about in this world...

23. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How do you know? How do know that the rise in incidences of many cancers isn't due to the amount and types of chemicals in your environment? Are you happy that there's poison in your drinking water?

In 2005, in the US, 563 people were killed in aviation accidents. That year, about 41,000 people died from breast cancer; a cancer intimately linked to estrogen levels in the body and the environment. So yeah, let's get a sense of proportion.

24. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

That's not in proportion. Do you think that traces of pills killed all of those people or severed their conditions significantly?

25. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

I was being sarcastic. Did you miss the second part of my post?