Pharmacist refuses to fill prescription to prevent bleeding

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Jan 14, 2011.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

http://www.care2.com/causes/health-policy/blog/when-conscious-clauses-can-kill/

If your conscience prevents you from filling a prescription, then you shouldn't be a pharmacist. Find a new line of work. It's like a PETA nut getting a job as a cook at a steakhouse and complaining when they have to cook a steak. Thoughts?

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That is really scary and I hope the pharmacist has her license revoked.

3. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Yank his license. It is not his call as to the rationale behind the prescription. It's signed by a qualified medical profession, that's all she wrote. This is anti-abortionist getting his panties in a wad, no more, no less. Let him find another line of work.

4. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

WOW! I'm just stunned this guy was asking why and wouldn't feel the script. I bet he loses his job over this, or he should. :/

Hugh

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That pharmacist is unworthy of their job. She needs to be fired immediately. Unacceptable!

6. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Hopefully she loses (or has already lost) her license.

A Pharmacist doesn't get to pick and choose which prescriptions they will or will not fill. Especially if those they choose not to fill is the result of some religious or moral belief.

She was obviously in the wrong line of work.

7. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

This thread will really get interesting when someone comes in here to try and defend the "pharmacist", and I use that term loosely

8. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

The harder you make it for those that have abortions, the less abortions there will be. She had her baby murdered, cry me a river if you are bleeding yourself. Sorry but abortion is murder. Plain and simple. Legalized murder. I am against this as much as capital punishment.

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I totally called it.

10. Queso macrumors G4

That's at the very least worth a suspension pending investigation. You don't get to impose your religious or political opinions onto others when you work in medicine, not without consequences.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

This is not the issue. Your beliefs are irrelevant. This pharmacist has a job to do. If she cannot do her job, she should be fired like anyone else would be.

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Hyperx, you are wrong. Your stance on abortion is wrong, your stance on homosexuality is not only wrong but also factually incorrect. Your mind set is on the wrong side of history. I truly feel bad for your children if you are raising them with these "values". Thankfully you have no say in making laws.

13. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

Life is precious. Abortion is wrong. I donate plenty of money to politicians that I support so I do have some law making abilities. And the history bit, I am 100% correct.

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That's fine an dandy, but abortion will never be illegal. And gay rights are getting stronger and stronger every year because more people are understanding it's not a choice. You are in the minority with your beliefs, and that will become more apparent to you as time goes on. So yes, you're on the wrong side of history.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Well then, prove it. From what you have posted (I could be wrong here), you appear to fit into that category of people who valiantly fight to protect fetuses, but once they are on the other side of the vaginal orifice, ____ 'em, they are on their own.

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The solution is simple. Have the pharmacist disclose whether or not they would deny prescriptions on this basis. Then mandate the pharmacy have someone on staff who will.

They'll find out real quick that no one will hire them when lightly staffed pharmacies say no thanks.

17. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

It didn't occur to you that maybe she had to have the abortion because her life was in danger? Or maybe she miscarried? Or perhaps she gave birth to a healthy baby, but later started bleeding and went to Planned Parenthood because she doesn't have insurance (or couldn't afford the copay)?

You're accusing her of being a murderer when you don't even know the story.

18. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

I am all for gay rights, never said I am against it. But abortion is murder. Rights of little babies are where? What gets my blood going is 3rd trimester abortions. What about NYC, over 30 percent of all pregnancies are abortion! That is worse than Cambodian blood baths!

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Deluded, forgetful, or just lying...

So, which is it, Hyper?

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

In this case I would question the pharmacist but at the same time I do understand the right of the pharmacist religious beliefs and that does need to be respected but what the pharmacist was asking for in information is illegal and can not be given out and just for asking that I could say the licences should be yank.

That or there must be another pharmacy with in so many miles that will fill it and will be open for at least the next hour or 2. They must also be willing to tell which one it is and hell be willing to call them to tell them that one is coming.

Lastly the Pharmacist can refuse to fill a script based on what else the person is taking. The Pharmacist job is to know how different drugs interact and which ones need to be kept from each other. Something doctors do not generally know as well.

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Oh goodness. Once again you have missed the point.

Whether or not the pharmacist was for or against abortion doesn't matter. She doesn't get to pick or choose who to fill prescriptions for. If she wants to protest abortion she is going to have to do it when she is not on company time.

22. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I am totally against abortion but at the same time I wouldn't chose a job where I would have the chance of supporting it. If I did chose that job I would be ready for whatever I had to do that was apart of it.

Keep your religious and political beliefs out of medicine. Period.

23. quagmire, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011

quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The pharmacist has a job to do. His or her beliefs can't get in the way of it. As long as abortion is legal it doesn't matter if he/she believes it is wrong and they have to fill the prescription. As yg mentioned, if you are a member of PETA and think killing cows for us to eat is wrong, you wouldn't work in a steakhouse. This person believes abortion is wrong, so why is he/she in a line of work where she would have to fill prescriptions for people who get abortions?

At the very least, the pharmacist should have referred the nurse to another person who would fill the prescription.

24. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Well, the pharmacist is there to ask as a buffer. The doctor may forget or a patient may omit another medication they are taking. The important part is to distinguish between that and refusal of service based on personal beliefs.

25. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

In general, does a pharmacist have the right to demand to know a patient's medical condition?