Phelps' daughter arrested for flag mutilation

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Jun 7, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As much as I hate these people, flag burning/desecration laws are stupid.

http://www.planetout.com/news/article.html?date=2007/06/06/4

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

agreed. i hope they do challenge the law.

3. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

I think flag burning/desecration laws are great! Then again, I have a bit of respect for the thing ;)

I say hit the parent with the fine and the days in jail. Make her read nothing, but the flag's history and why it is so respected. :cool:

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

This a free country, is it not? If we aren't free burn a piece of cloth, then I'd say the flag truly represents nothing.

I say no- that defeats the purpose of a free country.

5. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Free country or not, we are civilized and there is no reason such a law shouldn't be put in place. If you feel as though you aren't free and the flag represents nothing if you can't burn it, I'll gladly sit here and laugh. Give me a break. Have a bit of respect for something that represents such a great country. :rolleyes:

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sit and laugh then. This isn't some communist country where people can't speak out against the government. The flag is a symbol of our government, is it not? People who burn/desectrate the flag do so for a reason, not just to be silly. It's definitely a form of free speech that should absolutley be allowed.

7. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

It's so much more than just that. Burning the flag is just like spitting it the face of all the folks who died for you to sit on your ass and type that nice little post out. It's so easy to do such things to such a symbol when you really don't have a clue just how much it stands for. Unfortunately, it seems there will always be a group of people who will just never understand this. Sensitive subject for me.....Breathing...breathing :p

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

So in other words, you have respect for a piece of cloth, not what it stands for. Very un-American, if you ask me.

9. aquajet macrumors 68020

Actually, I believe it is you without the clue.

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

exercising your "right" to not be offended, eh?

symbols mean different things to different people. there's no reason your meaning should trump someone else's, especially when it means enacting a law to protect your sensitivity.

11. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Negative my friend. Having respect for that cloth is having respect for what it stands for ;)

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Sensitive subject for me too- I either live in free country or I don't. I think you're interpreting flag burning the wrong way. I don't see how it's spitting in the face of service members at all, it's more about spitting in the face of people like GW Bush, who mocks the flag and the constitution with his policies every day. I can guarantee you it has nothing to do with service members or past sacrifices. And don't start on me with the military thing- I have lots of friends and family in the service, some in Iraq right now, and they understand. I'm sorry if you don't see the distinction.

13. aquajet macrumors 68020

Then do tell us what it stands for...

14. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I think flag burning laws are stupid also. It's a piece of cloth. If it had turned into socks and someone burned it no body would care.

Personally I hate it when people pull the "look at how many people died for you..." crap. I can see the soldiers in the war, "Oh yah killed that Brit, now my great great great grandson can post **** up on macrumors."

15. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Well, I don't know about my great great great grandpa, but my grandfather did help defend that "brit" :p

16. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

As much as I don't like the flag burning laws, I want nothing more than to see the Phelps family suffer greatly.

17. bartelby macrumors Core

Yeah, it's a dilemma isn't it!:)

18. aquajet macrumors 68020

As much as it pains me, I agree with her 100% and I support her. But don't get any funny ideas -- I still despise her and the rest of the degenerates in her family.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, but this is the wrong thing. We need to wait til they do something truly stupid, which the insane always do, then put them in jail and throw away the key.

20. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

So, force your beliefs down someone else's throat. It shows me you have zero respect for what the flag symbolizes; freedom. That is about as hypocritical as it gets.

21. bartelby macrumors Core

Maybe the idea is to get them for anything they can and stick 'em away one by one.

22. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I call nonsense...if you can't say that your 'free-country' is crap in any way you want that doesn't harm someone (even if you're wrong) then it isn't a 'free-country' at all

Mmm...I think they could play that pretty well as martyrdom...making a mockery out of them somehow would be better...

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If Bush & Cheney can piss all over the Constitution,Bill of Rights and the Geneva convention,All our immigrations laws and everything our Flag stands for why cant this kid do it? You either are free or your not, Im afraid freedom is now a spin term. The All Powerful State is never wrong is it.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The ACLU should step in to defend Phelps. Now that's something I'd pull up a chair to watch.

25. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

Hey Airforce, how about if I burn a flag with 48 stars?
    Or 14 stripes?
    Is that ok?

or if I burn a Canadian or British flag, since they fought along side us in WWII and Iraq?

What if it is a flag made of paper?

What if I am burning a flag to retire it?

If what you are saying is that a particular form of political expression should not be allowed, then you missed the point of the 1st Amendment during high school/college/basic training/life.

Oh, and on topic - yeah, the Phelps suck and I wish them twice as much pain and suffering as they have caused.