philips hue- can you use both Google home and siri on same lights

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by madeirabhoy, Nov 19, 2017.

1. madeirabhoy, Nov 19, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017

madeirabhoy macrumors 6502a

was intending on jumping into philips hue and also getting a home pod as will need something that the non iPhone users can control the lights with.

can i have one network of philips bulbs, but have them controllable both by siri on our various watches/iphones/ipads and also buy a google home or google home mini (or if thats a problem, an echo) and use both of them independently to switch on and off the lights?

2. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

As far as I know there is no such thing as “Philips Home” or “Philips Home Mini”. Perhaps you’re referring to Google Home and Google Home Mini?

In any case, controlling of Hue lights can be done independently with multiple standards.

3. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ah sorry not sure why I typed that. Philips on the brain. Can’t change the headline now either.

So basically could I use my iPhone to change the colors either using hue app or home app but use the google home to use voice commands to turn them on and off ?

4. wesley96 macrumors 6502

wesley96

Don't worry about that, though I was slightly excited at the prospect of a voice-controlled Philips Hue accessory...

And yes, you can do that. Device status will be propagated in real-time, so unless you're rapidly issuing commands simultaneously over different apps there won't be a conflict.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I changed it for you.

I do what you described with Hue lights and an Amazon Echo and it works fine with no conflicts.

6. madeirabhoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the edit and for the answer :)

7. dyzfnctional macrumors regular

I am currently using homekit to control my philips hue lights.... and just got my bose soundbar 700 and its got google home integrated - however when i try to add philips hue to google home i receive an error message. Not sure if its because i already am using siri? any advise?

8. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Philips and Google are currently having a system registration issue. It's not because you're using Siri. Should be solved shortly.

For what it's worth, I have both Google Homes and Amazon Alexas in my home, as well as Siri on my phone/iPad/watch and all three will control the same devices (Philips Hue & Lutron lights).