Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips Hue today tweeted an open call for beta testers to join in putting the company's new and overhauled lighting app through its paces. Users will help Philips "shape a whole new lighting experience" through the beta test, which has already mostly been tested by the company and is seeking fans of Hue to help "with the last finishing touches."

philips-hue-beta.jpg
Great news! We're running a beta program for the new Philips Hue app. Click for more info: https://t.co/TkxzFDIS07 pic.twitter.com/Lw7lxj83WH - Meet hue (@tweethue) February 17, 2016
Users on iOS 8 and higher or Android 4.4 and higher will be able to join in on the beta, although it will have a limited availability and not everyone will be able to get in. After a few minutes of registration, users who get into the beta will be contacted by email with further instructions on how to install the new Hue app onto their smartphone.

Philips didn't give any specifics regarding new features coming to Hue in the update, but screenshots on the company's page hint at a focus on aesthetic and UI changes over drastic new additions to the software. Users interested can apply to be in the Philips Hue beta through Betabound.

Article Link: Philips Seeking Beta Testers for Revamped 'Hue' App

Reactions: OttawaGuy

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Woot! Just signed up! Can't wait! I bought the new HomeKit version last year so any new features are very welcome! :)

Reactions: Sandstorm

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Will this new version return functionality to non-Hue Zigbee bulbs that their system is supposedly standardized on, which was broken with their last update? If not, screw Philips, and I have bought my last product of theirs.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Will this new version return functionality to non-Hue Zigbee bulbs that their system is supposedly standardized on, which was broken with their last update? If not, screw Philips, and I have bought my last product of theirs.

That was already fixed. They reversed course about a week later.

http://www.wareable.com/smart-home/philips-third-party-smart-bulbs-hue-bridge-2062

P.S. and yes I've already tested it with a GE Link Bulb hooked to my Hue Bridge 2.0. Although I have since removed it and am controlling it via my main hub (Wink).

Reactions: Weaselboy

Explorz

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
That's already been updated with their most recent update.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
So you're telling me that the latest update restores the functionality of my non-Hue Zigbee bulb?

If it worked before, it should work under the current Hue software (and presumably under this Beta as well). This functionality was reintroduced very quickly after the update that removed it.

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
So you're telling me that the latest update restores the functionality of my non-Hue Zigbee bulb?

Don't know about your bulbs specifically, it may be there is an issue on your system, but very shortly after they made the decision to remove support for 3rd party bulbs they realised they messed up and released an update so you could use them as before. If they worked before, they should work now, if not you have an issue elsewhere.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Don't know about your bulbs specifically, it may be there is an issue on your system, but very shortly after they made the decision to remove support for 3rd party bulbs they realised they messed up and released an update so you could use them as before. If they worked before, they should work now, if not you have an issue elsewhere.

Thanks. I'll check it out. I had not read that anywhere.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London

Yes. That stupid update was reverted 1 week later through a pretty big campaign online.

You MAY have to reset them and re add them - I did.. Was a switch on and off 3 seconds then 8 seconds X 3 - probably different for other manufacturers.

All my zigbee lights now work. Mostly FLS-PP (catchy name!) strip controllers.

However they are not recognised by Siri with the hub 2 - that is reserved for hue only lamps and friends of hue.

The app iConnectHue has much more functionality and much nicer to use with groups and saved scenes - has rooms and a watch app which allows you to use Siri via the dictation mode and works really well. Lacks a photo scene mode though... But you can set that up in hue then save in iConnectHue. Oh and a built in lamp stealer to add the cheaper living Color lamps.

GoldRushPresentations

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2016
The biggest feature in this update is that will introduce "Rooms" which is a part of HomeKit. Currently in the Hue App, you can not say "turn off the Kitchen Lights" to Siri - rather you can only say "Turn On/Off all lights" or "Set a certain scene". For example, let's say you want to set the "All White Lights in House Scene" but want to shut off the lights in the bedroom... in it's current form you to have a SEPARATE scene which has those lights shut off... very annoying and bad for organization especially if you have 13 bulbs like me.

(You can use third party apps to designate rooms for your Hue bulbs... but having it within the app will probably lead to a much better experience).

Daily Routines (i.e. advanced timers) and Set Scene based on color palette is nice too (now you have to set a scene from a picture [confusing if you don't know where to start] or do each bulb manually).

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
...However they are not recognised by Siri with the hub 2 - that is reserved for hue only lamps and friends of hue.

The app iConnectHue has much more functionality and much nicer to use with groups and saved scenes - has rooms and a watch app which allows you to use Siri via the dictation mode and works really well. Lacks a photo scene mode though... But you can set that up in hue then save in iConnectHue. Oh and a built in lamp stealer to add the cheaper living Color lamps.

Ah, so here's the issue. I was able to use Siri before the bad update. Without the Siri functionality I have no need for the bulbs to work with Hue. Anyway, I will mess around with it some tonight when I get home. Thanks.

What's this light strip product to which you're referring?

PedCrossing

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2012
The Loop
Philips make good hardwares but their current software is underwhelming. The iPhone app is ugly and the geofencing function only worked for a while. I wish the new app would at least function properly. BTW, I submitted my email address at least 3 times before I received a verification email to just to be able to create an account.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I entered my email soon after this went up as well. I've received an email from Betabound with a link to verify my email, although I've tried multiple times, and it keeps saying that the verification is invalid :(

Gizmotoy

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2003
The current app is pretty bad, so I'm hoping the new version is a big improvement. I currently use Elgato Eve to control my Hue lights.
Agreed. I use Lightbow (fantastic app) to control the lights manually, otherwise I let my Smartthings hub automate them.

Reactions: prowlmedia

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Ah, so here's the issue. I was able to use Siri before the bad update. Without the Siri functionality I have no need for the bulbs to work with Hue. Anyway, I will mess around with it some tonight when I get home. Thanks.

What's this light strip product to which you're referring?

I agree it was wrong of them to remove homekit / siri being able to control Non-philips lights. Their reason was it's licensing with Apple - which is balls. They just need to protect their business. I am sure someone else will come up with a hack at some point. the hub is based on dd-wrt router software. Or possibly a homekit compatible Zigbee hub that isn't Hue which will happily control any lights.

I actually use smarthings now to control my lights and never touch the hue App.

Like I say the iConnect hue app works in a different way with siri.

this is the controller - works great... I have about 100m of LEDs coming off 6 of them. All working though Hue.
https://www.dresden-elektronik.de/f...p/?L=1&cHash=c9c902ccdb43164696acccf81b62b2bd

It's on amazon US/UK/DE

Reactions: utwarreng

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
I agree it was wrong of them to remove homekit / siri being able to control Non-philips lights. Their reason was it's licensing with Apple - which is balls. They just need to protect their business. I am sure someone else will come up with a hack at some point. the hub is based on dd-wrt router software. Or possibly a homekit compatible Zigbee hub that isn't Hue which will happily control any lights.

I actually use smarthings now to control my lights and never touch the hue App.

Like I say the iConnect hue app works in a different way with siri.

this is the controller - works great... I have about 100m of LEDs coming off 6 of them. All working though Hue.
https://www.dresden-elektronik.de/f...p/?L=1&cHash=c9c902ccdb43164696acccf81b62b2bd

It's on amazon US/UK/DE

Have you tried cutting the LED strip and solder some wire to connect to another strip elsewhere? I've got some kitchen cupboards with a good three foot gap between them that I got around by running some wiring through the wall, then soldered to a simple LED white strip light where needed. I just know it would be a lot more difficult for me to solder four wires instead of two if I went for an RGBW set.

Maybe someone sells alternate connectors to slip on to the LED strips to make wiring a whole lot easier.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Maybe someone sells alternate connectors to slip on to the LED strips to make wiring a whole lot easier.

Well it's 5 wires RGBW and power the strips I buy have connectors each end... So you can cut the connectors off and crimp connect your 1metre gap or what ever soldering the actual strip is damn hard and well the strips are £15 for 5m so not really a problem if you get it wrong. Also you can cut say a 2m and 3m if you need shorter or less you get the 2 end wires
[doublepost=1455757897][/doublepost]This is one of the things I've done with them.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 11,334

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
This looks like a fantastic update that addresses all the shortcomings and requests made over the last few years.

I've come to embrace lights as scenes instead of individual on/off switches but there are instances where it comes in handy to easily manipulate a single light without having to create a scene for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.