Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One year after launching its first Bluetooth-enabled smart toothbrush with the Sonicare Flexcare Platinum device, Philips this week announced the all-new Sonicare DiamondClean Smart Sonic toothbrush. The toothbrush packs in the usual array of features found in other smart toothbrushes, including brush coaching and smartphone connectivity, as well as including a revamped brush head system and inductive charging through an included glass cup.

philips-toothbrush-3.jpg

Like its previous toothbrush, Philips' DiamondClean device includes a variety of sensors that guide users through customized brushing routines, provides real-time feedback through the connected iPhone and Android app, and keeps track of data collected overtime within the app. The app provides a 3D mouth map, highlighting problematic areas that users might miss while brushing, as well as potential issues like bleeding areas and cavities.

philips-toothbrush-2.jpg

The new brush head system also intends to make choosing a brushing mode easier than the Flexcare Platinum toothbrush. With included microchips in each head, when users snap on one of the four new heads -- plaque control, gum care, whitening, and fresh breath -- the DiamondClean will automatically set the routine for the related activity in the brush head that's been connected. The toothbrush tracks how long and how hard each brush head has been used, and warns the user when it's nearing time to replace them.
"Philips is committed to developing products that have a positive impact on people's lives. Through our research we know that consumers want to achieve their healthiest smile, but don't often know how they are doing in between visits to their dental professional," said Alexander Harris, Senior Marketing Director, Philips Oral Healthcare.

"We developed Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart while working closely with dental professionals to eliminate the guesswork from tooth brushing. Backed by our most recent research and insights, we are able to provide users with data and knowledge that will help them achieve a complete clean, every time."
To charge the toothbrush, Philips has included its inductive charging glass cup -- which doubles as a rinsing glass -- with a base that users connect to a wall outlet, and when the DiamondCare toothbrush is placed inside it instantly begins charging. Included in the box is a deluxe travel case as well, so if users are on the go they can recharge the toothbrush using a connected USB cable. One full charge via either charging option will provide up to two weeks of battery for the toothbrush.

philips-toothbrush-4.jpg

The Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart Toothbrush comes in white, black, pink, and sliver and starts at $229.99 with two brush heads, rising to $269.99 with three brush heads, and $329.99 with a full set of the new brush heads. Those interested can also find the toothbrush on Amazon. The DiamondClean toothbrush uses the same connected iPhone app, Philips Sonicare [Direct Link], that the company debuted with the Flexcare toothbrush last year.

Article Link: Philips Sonicare Debuts New iPhone-Connected Smart Toothbrush With Inductive Charging Cup

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
I can think of no finer idea than a drinking glass connected to an electrical outlet. If only it was big enough to also hold my hair dryer.

So, I have the $20 Phillips Vitality brush, which I've used for years. Every few weeks I have to clean the charging stand because of residue that accumulates on it. And I'm GOOD at cleaning my brush after use. I can't imagine using the cup that I rest my toothbrush in for drinking as well.

It's probably also worth pointing out that for $329 I could use a regular toothbrush and go see my dentist once a month for a year.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
That is just absurd. I have one of those more basic ones with like 5 different modes that I never even bother changing, much less a connected toothbrush. Do you really want to fiddle with your toothbrush during your morning rush?

I love my sonicare, pack it even on short trips. Will never use anything else. But too much is too much.

keys

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2007
The charging glass has been out for many years and is pretty much a pain to keep clean. I don't understand designing the toothbrush handle to place into the glass you rinse with.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
No longer: "Necessity is the mother of invention" but now it's "Invention is the mother of necessity".

Reactions: tphalp

dca100

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2012
I have the existing/current DiamondClean model. It's awesome for cleaning and I'd highly commend it. However this article is incorrect. The inductive charging glass is included with the current model and has been for years. That part of the product is not a new debut at all.

Am tempted to upgrade for the new smart features at some point, but only once the ridiculously high launch price drops (I bought mine for about $100). Slightly suspicious about the app prompts to replace the brush head and consequently being pestered to replace the head when there's weeks left in it.

bradkrischel

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
USA
I can think of no finer idea than a drinking glass connected to an electrical outlet. If only it was big enough to also hold my hair dryer.

So, I have the $20 Phillips Vitality brush, which I've used for years. Every few weeks I have to clean the charging stand because of residue that accumulates on it. And I'm GOOD at cleaning my brush after use. I can't imagine using the cup that I rest my toothbrush in for drinking as well.

It's probably also worth pointing out that for $329 I could use a regular toothbrush and go see my dentist once a month for a year.

The glass is not connected to the outlet. The glass serves as a barrier between the toothbrush and the silver inductive charging base, which is connected to the outlet. When you lift the glass to use, the silver charging base remains on the countertop.
[doublepost=1500388511][/doublepost]
I am old enough to remember when not everything in the world could or needed to be synced up to your iPhone lol.

I am old enough to remember when it was impossible to sync everything up to iPhones because iPhones didn't exist yet....

Reactions: lsutigerfan1976

earthTOmitchel

Contributing Editor
Staff member
Mar 6, 2015
Louisiana
The charging glass has been out for many years and is pretty much a pain to keep clean. I don't understand designing the toothbrush handle to place into the glass you rinse with.

I have the existing/current DiamondClean model. It's awesome for cleaning and I'd highly commend it. However this article is incorrect. The inductive charging glass is included with the current model and has been for years. That part of the product is not a new debut at all.

Am tempted to upgrade for the new smart features at some point, but only once the ridiculously high launch price drops (I bought mine for about $100). Slightly suspicious about the app prompts to replace the brush head and consequently being pestered to replace the head when there's weeks left in it.
Thanks for pointing that out, I tweaked the parts in the article where I said the cup was new.

Reactions: chabig

candleglow

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2017
Hey, this isn't such a terrible idea for some of us. I struggle with fine-motor control and a genetic condition that makes my dental health extremely vulnerable. Something to help me brush thoroughly and keep track of when I need to replace supplies would be helpful in my life. I may consider this as an upgrade from my current Sonicare.

Reactions: odin and makr

blcamp

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Some things over-apply technology. This is one of them. I have a freaking toothbrush. It's good enough. I like the many thousands of things iPhones have enabled us to do that we couldn't before, but this is overkill. When we get to the point of apps interconnected with toilets, I'm thinking it may be time to go find another planet.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Some things over-apply technology. This is one of them. I have a freaking toothbrush. It's good enough. I like the many thousands of things iPhones have enabled us to do that we couldn't before, but this is overkill. When we get to the point of apps interconnected with toilets, I'm thinking it may be time to go find another planet.

Just wait. That will be what Tim puts in his presentation next year. I can see it now, folks you will never have to flush again thanks to our new iPhone app lol.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I literally can't believe people buy these things.

That's not being very open-minded. It's just technology that's making things more convenient for every day use. There are a lot of things that people don't agree with what they should and should not buy, but it's only the consumer that makes the decision with what's useful in their lifestyle or not. I could see this being useful to me, but maybe not to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icaras and apolloa

atikalz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2016

One year after launching its first Bluetooth-enabled smart toothbrush with the Sonicare Flexcare Platinum device, Philips this week announced the all-new Sonicare DiamondClean Smart Sonic toothbrush. The toothbrush packs in the usual array of features found in other smart toothbrushes, including brush coaching and smartphone connectivity, as well as including a revamped brush head system and inductive charging through an included glass cup.

philips-toothbrush-3.jpg

Like its previous toothbrush, Philips' DiamondClean device includes a variety of sensors that guide users through customized brushing routines, provides real-time feedback through the connected iPhone and Android app, and keeps track of data collected overtime within the app. The app provides a 3D mouth map, highlighting problematic areas that users might miss while brushing, as well as potential issues like bleeding areas and cavities.

philips-toothbrush-2.jpg

The new brush head system also intends to make choosing a brushing mode easier than the Flexcare Platinum toothbrush. With included microchips in each head, when users snap on one of the four new heads -- plaque control, gum care, whitening, and fresh breath -- the DiamondClean will automatically set the routine for the related activity in the brush head that's been connected. The toothbrush tracks how long and how hard each brush head has been used, and warns the user when it's nearing time to replace them.
To charge the toothbrush, Philips has included its inductive charging glass cup -- which doubles as a rinsing glass -- with a base that users connect to a wall outlet, and when the DiamondCare toothbrush is placed inside it instantly begins charging. Included in the box is a deluxe travel case as well, so if users are on the go they can recharge the toothbrush using a connected USB cable. One full charge via either charging option will provide up to two weeks of battery for the toothbrush.

philips-toothbrush-4.jpg

The Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart Toothbrush comes in white, black, pink, and sliver and starts at $229.99 with two brush heads, rising to $269.99 with three brush heads, and $329.99 with a full set of the new brush heads. Those interested can also find the toothbrush on Amazon. The DiamondClean toothbrush uses the same connected iPhone app, Philips Sonicare [Direct Link], that the company debuted with the Flexcare toothbrush last year.

Article Link: Philips Sonicare Debuts New iPhone-Connected Smart Toothbrush With Inductive Charging Cup
As with every philips Sonicare I owned, the handset will definitely shut down in 12 to 24 months. Only thanks to Amazon's refund service I stick to them.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2006
I have the previous gen Diamond Clean. I love it and couldn't go back. Same one but not "connected." This is (maybe) a step too far, though.

An on/off button suffices just fine for me. I can see this being useful if you have absolutely no self awareness of your hygiene.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.