Phillips and Rendevous

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
From ZDnet UK :
Philips Electronics from the Netherlands, Europe's largest consumer electronics maker, also agreed to include Rendezvous in its future products, Apple and Philips announced.

"Wouldn't it be cool to listen to the songs stored on your iPod (Apple's portable player) over your Philips hi-fi set in your home," said Jobs. Other applications Philips and Apple envisage are the ability to view on a TV screen digital pictures stored on an Apple computer.

Jobs said he was talking to a lot of other companies, but declined to be more specific about possible future adopters of Rendezvous in the consumer electronics or computer industry. The protocol can work over any kind of network, but Jobs said he favoured Apple's own wireless LAN technology AirPort. AirPort is, however, based on the Wi-Fi industry standard, also known as 802.11b.
Looks like Apple has been reading up on the AVS Forum.:p

Seriously, this is very good for Apple. Some makers (Mistubishi, for one) have already put Firewire ports on their HDTVs and set-top-boxes and Sonicblue already has an ethernet port on their DVR and I think Tivo's next revision will also have one. This could be used in direct competition with Microsoft's XP Media Center Edition (which will likely die a quick and painless death, read the article+ the talkbacks)

Apple could again one-up M$ by doing it right. If you read the HTPC section of the AVS Forum regularly, you will notice that there is a demand for this sort of thing. Granted it's a niche market now, but with more people getting into diguital media, it's going to grow. They're really taking this digital hub thing seriously.:)

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
I cant wait for some of this new stuff, I would like to see a stereo with rendevous that can take your playlists from your mac and you can play them from the stereo,that would be tight, I cant wait for some more rendevous stuff. The printer sharing is awesome already!

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by swahilibill
I cant wait for some of this new stuff, I would like to see a stereo with rendevous that can take your playlists from your mac and you can play them from the stereo,that would be tight, I cant wait for some more rendevous stuff. The printer sharing is awesome already!
I know what you mean... this sounds so cool....... I just hope that all the other manufacturers get in on the gig too....... :)

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
"I" don't favor Wireless

It's too slow.

Give me Rendezvous to Philips Gear running over Phoneline with HPNA 3.0.

That way every room with a phonejack can access the network and A/V system.

I don't need no stinking Tumor causing Radio Waves making me sterile LOL

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Re: "I" don't favor Wireless

Originally posted by nuckinfutz
It's too slow.

Give me Rendezvous to Philips Gear running over Phoneline with HPNA 3.0.

That way every room with a phonejack can access the network and A/V system.

I don't need no stinking Tumor causing Radio Waves making me sterile LOL

anyone who prefers HPNA over ANYTHING else in the networking world is smoking something strong as HELL.

i've said it before, i dont even trust my phone lines to run my PHONE, much less a robust network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.