Phishing e mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Sep 22, 2012.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

I got an e mail from "Apple" saying that there is a problem with the upcoming activation of my new IPhone. I called the number but didn't give them any info bc I didn't feel it was legit. The e mail did contain and activation number which I did give them most of. They sent a follow up message containing my cell number which they likely got from caller ID. Has anyone heard of this and should I be worried that I called them? I didn't think it was legit bc the phone was already activated... And wouldn't my carrier contact me about activation?

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Save all the speculation and call your carrier. That's the best suggestion.

3. Devlonc macrumors member

I got the same email. I called and it seemed phishy. Didn't seem like apple. Not really sure what it was about, the Indian guy that answered wouldn't tell me much without me confirming a bunch of info ( which I didn't do). He just kept saying there was an activation problem and I told him I didn't think there was a problem because I was talking to him on my new IP5. I finally just hung up.

4. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Call a number you KNOW is valid.

If your phone is already working, I think you are pretty much answered your own question.