Phishing e mail

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
I got an e mail from "Apple" saying that there is a problem with the upcoming activation of my new IPhone. I called the number but didn't give them any info bc I didn't feel it was legit. The e mail did contain and activation number which I did give them most of. They sent a follow up message containing my cell number which they likely got from caller ID. Has anyone heard of this and should I be worried that I called them? I didn't think it was legit bc the phone was already activated... And wouldn't my carrier contact me about activation?

bowlerman625

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Chicago, IL area
I got an e mail from "Apple" saying that there is a problem with the upcoming activation of my new IPhone. I called the number but didn't give them any info bc I didn't feel it was legit. The e mail did contain and activation number which I did give them most of. They sent a follow up message containing my cell number which they likely got from caller ID. Has anyone heard of this and should I be worried that I called them? I didn't think it was legit bc the phone was already activated... And wouldn't my carrier contact me about activation?
Save all the speculation and call your carrier. That's the best suggestion.

Devlonc

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I got the same email. I called and it seemed phishy. Didn't seem like apple. Not really sure what it was about, the Indian guy that answered wouldn't tell me much without me confirming a bunch of info ( which I didn't do). He just kept saying there was an activation problem and I told him I didn't think there was a problem because I was talking to him on my new IP5. I finally just hung up.

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Call a number you KNOW is valid.

If your phone is already working, I think you are pretty much answered your own question.