Phoenix Cops’ Extreme Response to Shoplifting Caught on Tape

VictorTango777

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2017

But the little girl broke the law and the parents got what they deserved!
Law and Order!
The police "felt threatened" and "feared for my life"!
Have the people who recorded the video and tried talking some sense into those cops been labeled as anti-police yet?

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016

But the little girl broke the law and the parents got what they deserved!
Law and Order!
The police "felt threatened" and "feared for my life"!
Have the people who recorded the video and tried talking some sense into those cops been labeled as anti-police yet?
Well 1st of all let me say the police response was overboard and they need to be held to account.

BUT... Let's not twist facts. The father also shoplifted and has a history of crimes and police contact. He is a criminal but don't let that get in the way of anything....

https://ktar.com/story/2619483/viral-shoplifting-video-case-wasnt-phoenix-mans-first-run-in-with-police/

This clown got a standing ovation at a City meeting over the incident? A standing ovation for what? Being a criminal who was caught? Being a criminal who attempted to grab an officers gun in the past?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Factual and credible source please..
I stand corrected. It's come out since then, that Phoenix PD barely have body cams.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/phoenix/2019/06/17/phoenix-police-controversial-shoplifting-arrest-no-body-cameras/1474568001/
The inaccurate information about the body-worn cameras appears to have originated as a misunderstanding of an ABC15 KNXV-TV report that said "neither officer had a body camera or dash cam."

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
If police purposely turn off their cameras when they respond to an incident, that paints a very negative picture that the officers do not want transparency in their actions.

which leads me to believe that whatever actions they are about to commit, they know it's wrong, and they have pre-meditated that action by turning off the camera.

they should be FIRED and CHARGED

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
If police purposely turn off their cameras when they respond to an incident, that paints a very negative picture that the officers do not want transparency in their actions.

which leads me to believe that whatever actions they are about to commit, they know it's wrong, and they have pre-meditated that action by turning off the camera.

they should be FIRED and CHARGED
Except you bought full stop into fake news........
[doublepost=1560958967][/doublepost]
It came out since when? You made the other post 21 minutes previous.... The factual info came out within that 21 minute span?

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Except you bought full stop into fake news........
[doublepost=1560958967][/doublepost]

It came out since when? You made the other post 21 minutes previous.... The factual info came out within that 21 minute span?
It came out in the link I provided, where it was admitted that it was inaccurate information based on local news.

If you want to have argument over anything, please feel free too. I did the research ( something I've come to realize I should NOT expect of others, just demands that others do it ), I admitted my error, and posted a correction. Something that's a bit of rarity in these times.

It does NOT discount the heinousness & failures of the actions by the police in this instance, which I posted in greater detail elsewhere.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
It came out in the link I provided, where it was admitted that it was inaccurate information based on local news.

If you want to have argument over anything, please feel free too. I did the research ( something I've come to realize I should NOT expect of others, just demands that others do it ), I admitted my error, and posted a correction. Something that's a bit of rarity in these times.

It does NOT discount the heinousness & failures of the actions by the police in this instance, which I posted in greater detail elsewhere.
If you did 'research' then I don't know what to say since one person already bought hook, line and sinker into the fake news you posted....

Aside from that, the actions of the officers were not heinous. While it maybe was inappropriate, I'd need more information before deciding that as well. The criminal father, who also committed a crime in this case, has a past and violent history of police contact.

Was he recognized as the violent criminal he is by one of the responding officers? If so then their response might have been appropriate....

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
If you did 'research' then I don't know what to say since one person already bought hook, line and sinker into the fake news you posted....

Aside from that, the actions of the officers were not heinous. While it maybe was inappropriate, I'd need more information before deciding that as well. The criminal father, who also committed a crime in this case, has a past and violent history of police contact.

Was he recognized as the violent criminal he is by one of the responding officers? If so then their response might have been appropriate....
Actually many bought into the news that was inaccurate from the local news. If you wish to condemn them and anyone who took the information in good faith from the local news, you are ( and will ) free to do so.

As far as your new line of endless questioning, perhaps research on your part could avoid the pitfalls of 'fake news'.

Reactions: jkcerda and Raid

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
As far as your new line of endless questioning, perhaps research on your part could avoid the pitfalls of 'fake news'.
As far as I can tell you are the only one thus far to post fake news on this incident here... One bought into that fake news posting full stop...

Feel free to discredit 1-4 and answer 5-6 via your crack and fact based research. Might be best to avoid the research sources you used in post #5 though. Just sayin'

1. Was he shoplifting? Yes!
2. Does he have a criminal past? Yes!
3. Does he have a violent criminal past? Yes!
4. Did he attack an officer in the past? Yes!
5. Did an officer recognize him as the violent criminal that he is? Unknown
6. Did that recognition cause the increased response? Unknown

Reactions: BigMcGuire

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
Feel free to discredit 1-4 and answer 5-6 via your crack and fact based research. Might be best to avoid the research sources you used in post #5 though. Just sayin'

5. Did an officer recognize him as the violent criminal that he is? Unknown
6. Did that recognition cause the increased response? Unknown
You've presented 6 questions, answered 4 to your own satisfaction, feel free to finish the job and genuinely add to the conversation. Perhaps even honestly further the discussion if that is honestly what you want. We'll be here.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
You've presented 6 questions, answered 4 to your own satisfaction, feel free to finish the job and genuinely add to the conversation. Perhaps even honestly further the discussion if that is honestly what you want. We'll be here.
I am asking you since you called their action heinous.. Prove that statement or is it just more fake news like you clambered on about in post 5?

I don't know the answer to 5 and 6 but it's needed before I call their actions into question.. If the answers in 5 and 6 are no then I agree they were wrong and should be disciplined. If 5 and 6 are yes then they acted appropriately...

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
As far as I've seen what has been stated was the four year old girl took a doll from the store. Now if you want to discuss further perhaps provide more detail that Ames himself had shoplifted goods on his person or is the legal guardian and is therefore responsible for the actions of the 4-year old I would welcome the additional details.
Do these rhetorical questions stem from the indictment and yet unproven case against him in the Tempe police? Talk about verifying facts... :rolleyes:

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
As far as I've seen what has been stated was the four year old girl took a doll from the store. Now if you want to discuss further perhaps provide more detail that Ames himself had shoplifted goods on his person or is the legal guardian and is therefore responsible for the actions of the 4-year old I would welcome the additional details.
Perhaps try reading the thread? Post 3 might be a start... :rolleyes:

Do these rhetorical questions stem from the indictment and yet unproven case against him in the Tempe police? Talk about verifying facts... :rolleyes:
Answer 5 and 6 with factual and credible sources then yes 1-4 might become very relevant as to why the officers reacted in the manner they did...

If you don't understand why the questions are relevant then that's on you and speaks volumes as to your lack of understanding..

JayMysterio

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Rock Ridge, California
I am asking you since you called their action heinous.. Prove that statement or is it just more fake news like you clambered on about in post 5?

I don't know the answer to 5 and 6 but it's needed before I call their actions into question.. If the answers in 5 and 6 are no then I agree they were wrong and should be disciplined. If 5 and 6 are yes then they acted appropriately...
I will leave the video of the incident, and the officer's words & actions as display of my calling their actions as heinous.

I will also leave that the report by the officers did NOT include the words & actions displayed in the video as of proof of it being heinous. Much so, the officers themselves knew enough to leave them out, much to the harm it does their own credibility.

I will leave that once again, it falls on the video efforts of citizens, to relay information that the officers themselves were NOT willing to provide.

We are now in the midst of the Phoenix PD's counter offensive blitz, so I am sure there will be more that you if want to, you can research. Bear in mind, it will be a furious blitz as the Phoenix PD is already suffering from damaging reports, including a record breaking year of police shootings. You should have plenty to look forward to and thru.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
I will leave the video of the incident, and the officer's words & actions as display of my calling their actions as heinous.
So your reaction is based on feelings and not facts? It's cool as feelings often are the reason behind those who want to make things racially divisive, facts be damned!

If 5 and 6 are shown to be true then they acted 100% appropriately even if your feelings say otherwise....

Anywhoozies, I'll need more before condemning the police response and actions.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Perhaps try reading the thread? Post 3 might be a start... :rolleyes:
My questions stem directly from the article you posted. However I can't see youtube videos at work.

If you don't understand why the questions are relevant then that's on you and speaks volumes as to your lack of understanding..
I never questioned the relevancy, just as you never answered my questions about your presented 'facts'. Back it up or back out.

raqball

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2016
I never questioned the relevancy, just as you never answered my questions about your presented 'facts'. Back it up or back out.
My questions are very relevant.. Again if you don't understand why then I can't help you to do so as I have no interest in offering free common sense classes..

Back what up? The video you claim you can't see shows him shoplifting.....

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
Disgusting and appalling behavior and I can’t believe anyone would defend it. The language alone should get him fired.

This is why people are afraid and angry at cops. If she put her kid down, would he shoot her for reaching for something? If she didn’t comply would he shoot her? Just gross behavior, this guy clearly shouldn’t interact with the public, let alone be a cop.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
My questions are very relevant.. Again if you don't understand why then I can't help you to do so as I have no interest in offering free common sense classes..

Back what up? You said you read the article I posted, 1-4 are addressed in that article... Wow, just wow.... Talk about needing to back out................................
2-4 have yet to be proven in court, the defense says he has a two video's contradicting the claims of those officers. So who's misinterpreting what? I know how many times can you double down on your BS, can we just skip to the point where you tell me to "Rock on" and then say "I'm out" while poking back into the thread to 'like' opinions that support yours?

Your game has been played out. Step it up.

<edit> Also #1 was only discussed in the article from the defendants view point, the article is insufficient to claim that Ames was shoplifting or knowingly allowed the 4-year old to take the doll without paying for it.