Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton Lives On Food Stamp Budget For A Week

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Sep 26, 2012.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I applaud his effort at doing this. Was very surprised to see the average benefit is $29 a week.(For a single person. Family benefits are much higher) Geez, I spend that much on coffee in 2 weeks.

Link

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

He forgot the 6 children under the age of 18 trick.

*ducks*

:p

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Someone needs to alert Chris Christie.

4. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Yeah, it was a hilarious article. I'm still laughing. And, don't worry-- you could never, ever be in that position.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Th problem with these "tests" is the people who do this for a week don't really understand what they are doing. I have lived on $25 in groceries a week as a single guy, not a problem. You simply need to know how to shop and what you can buy. You can't transition from $8 latte and $150 lunches...

Food stamps are also intended to provide survival rations, not maintain your lifestyle.

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

It's not called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program for nothing. Some people forget the Supplemental part.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I don't understand the complaint about having to make everything from scratch. That should be expected on such a budget. I do quite a bit of that by choice. When I read the labels on a bottle of salad dressing or pasta sauce, it grosses me out. If you're used to it, you can be pretty fast about preparing things from scratch. I usually keep it pretty simple. Dinner might be chicken or fish and veggies or brown rice and a small salad if I'm just cooking for myself. I hate how we're conditioned to buy pre-packaged convenience items that are loaded with sugar and salt.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

So why are so many people on food stamps obese?

9. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

May they were once employed and got fat from making money.

10. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

It's very tragic that nearly 1 in 5 adults are on food stamps.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Firstly there has been inflation and food prices have risen significantly over the past few years. Secondly you currently live in Malaysia. Food is cheaper there.

12. jeremy h macrumors 6502

I don't know about the States but here in the UK food is rapidly becoming a luxury item.

I'm surprised that you can all make stuff a lot more cheaply. Ever costed a homemade loaf of bread, cake or pasta sauce?

Trying to live on a low income for a period is a good idea for a politician though and I too applaud him for doing it. (I would like a few of our media bods to try it as well. Particularly the food snobs on Radio 4)

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Lol, exactly what I was thinking. Some people On this forum take themselves way too seriously

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This is true. I still applaud him for doing it, but food stamps are supposed to be used to supplement your shopping for the basic needs; not steak and the likes. The problem I have with food stamps is how people tend to use them, not all, but some.

15. Huntn, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

So what does the GOP think the problem is with food stamps? You are on your own slacker?

[​IMG]

Atlantic Magazine (Jun2012): What Are Republicans Waging War on Food Stamps Now?

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Sugar and starchy foods are dirt cheap and taste good. Tasteless starchy foods taste good if fried and salted. I'm in favor of taxing sugar and starch to subsidize broccoli and other fresh vegetables, a much healthier source of carbs. But then, I like broccoli.

Speaking geopolitically, overweight poor people have been around a long time in the U.S., but, more recently, people from all socioeconomic classes have been getting obese, not just people on food stamps.

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If you are used to eating like someone who works full time its going to be an adjustment. When in college I spent less than 30 dollars a week on food easily.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Not everyone in the US realizes how cheap food is in the US. We pay a lot for healthcare and very little for food. Food prices on certain things have risen quite a bit, but not all of them are US specific. Coffee comes to mind there. That was another thing about the article. You don't actually need coffee to sustenance, much like you don't need alcohol. Hopefully the guy gave this further thought.

Oh I'm aware of this. Quality vegetables and decent fish or chicken can be expensive on such a budget. Even with as cheap as food is in the US compared to parts of the world, $30/week isn't much to go on if you plan to eat healthy. I was just a little surprised that the necessity to make everything from scratch came as a surprise.

By the way, I like broccoli too. Usually I buy crowns as I have no idea what to do with the stalks. I'm wondering if they could be made into soup. It's another thing I like, but I hate how much salt is used in most soup. if you don't constantly eat things that are heavy in salt or sugar, you really notice the extremity of some things that are sold here when you do taste them. I wish I could find a place that carried good barely sweetened chocolate.

19. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

"It's my job."

Speak for yourself, bud.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? When was that? 1950?

See above.

21. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well generally speaking if you are that low in income your time is going to be pretty badly spent working and if you work full time you can understand how hard it is always to have time to make stuff from scratch.

I work full time and yeah I would love to make more stuff from scratch but time can be pretty bad.

Also people claiming oh they can do it. Yeah what are you smoking. Some weeks yeah I would be that low but even when I was in college I was spending like 30 week on food but then you have to account for the fact that often times I ate with my GF at her parents place (aka I was not paying for food).

I have been told to always budget around $5 per meal per person. Yeah some are less but it accounts for it bouncing around.

I will say I have watch the amount I spend on food go up a lot the past few years and I am not buying more food. Hell I am still buying the same stuff I was buying a few years ago and same amount. Cost have gone up a lot and they are going to shoot up even more next year as the drought will hit in full force in cost spikes.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

as a follow up:
    a point very often forgotten is the development in a different field:
    there is a very easy answer why a few decades ago producing stuff from scratch was more wide spread. in the average family usually one person stayed at home a.k.a "the housewife factor" ...
    the world has changed away from this (rightfully so) but today in most cases both parent sides have to work , thus little time is available for more time consuming receipts, and if one is living alone (which is more common today) it's even more problematic

my mother is said the same: compared to her grandmother she never had the time to cook the same receipts during weekdays

back on topic: i find it rather disturbing that something as foodstamps is still needed in the US ... i thought they went away some time after WW2 ?

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Ugh perhaps I do need coffee if my grammar is that bad today. I was trying to give up coffee recently. I've quit for months on other occasions. Somehow that never lasts :(. You know what I meant though. It's still important to remember that it's supposed to be supplemental, but I'm not sure if inflation on food has outpaced gains in the allocation per person. If anyone knows, feel free to add it.

24. splitpea macrumors 6502a

I think you're probably thinking of rationing, which we haven't had since WWII.

25. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I would have thought that spending would just cover the supermarket shop, and that there would be eating out/beer on top of that.