Phone Backup and Update Problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b-rad g, Aug 10, 2012.

1. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I need some help with what to do with this problem. The problem is my Mom-in-law got an iPhone right before iOS5 came out so she can't do a computer-less update to her iOS. They don't have a computer and they don't have internet where they live(barely get VZW, that should say somehting) so she can't update it at home.

When she first got the phone she had a friend from her work plug it into their laptop to get it up and running, but has never synced or updated since the first setup. That friend no longer works there and has no way get in touch with her.

I would just update her from my Mac at home, but don't want to update it with out performing a backup first and if I do that on my Mac it will try to sync it and wipe everything off of it.

My question is if she has her own iTunes account, which imagine she does since she buys apps, can I put iTunes on my old Windows PC and log it into her iTunes account and do async from there? Since there is no iTunes library on the PC will it transfer her app purchases to the PC and do sync from there, or will it try to wipe everything?

My main goal is to just get her up to date with iOS so she can then run PC-free and be able to wireless updates from here on out. What is the best way to accomplish this?

2. b-rad g thread starter macrumors 6502a

b-rad g