Phone bankers for Trump must waive their 1st Amendment rights - Forever!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Robisan, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Robisan macrumors 6502

When it comes to working for Trump, never must be uttered a disparaging word. Ever!

Want to dial for Donald Trump? First, sign this legal form

Online volunteers seeking to help Donald Trump by making phone calls might be signing up for more than they bargained for.

To sign up on Trump's website, potential volunteers must agree to a 2,271-word non-disclosure agreement in which they also promise they won't compete against or say anything bad about Trump, his company, his family members or products – now and forever.​

Here's the actual language from the Trump phone banking NDA. Volunteer to phone bank for Trump and you must agree to never demean or disparage Trump publicly - forever!

No Disparagement. During the term of your service and at all times thereafter you hereby promise and agree not to demean or disparage publicly the Company, Mr. Trump, any Trump Company, any Family Member, or any Family Member Company or any asset any of the foregoing own, or product or service any of the foregoing offer, in each case by or in any of the Restricted Means and Contexts and to prevent your employees from doing so.​

Full 2,271-word agreement here.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

don't work for Trump, problem solved.

Hillary has a NDA that gets you killed if you ever threaten her :eek:

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

so why are you still alive???

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Trump isn't the government. The 1st A is not applicable.

5. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Trump will never be the govenrment either so you gotta be nuts to sign that paper.

6. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Source please.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 1, 2016 ---
    Given his Twitter addiction and the things he says on it, those people better be making Trump sign one too! Mutual assured destruction. :D

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

His wannabe campaign managers s/b looking for ways to jam his cellphone on demand.

I feel badly for young people working for Trump in their first effort at political activism. I hope they'll find a real candidate to work for some time instead of becoming cynical and bailing out after Trump's mirror-mirror-on-wall constuction finally "slouches towards Bethlehem to be born..."

8. dec. Suspended

dec.

I could pull off the pathetic right wing trash thing and ask for a source, because, you know, forum rules and stuff (and of course that trash never would even ask for a source in these cases, they stick to the "hey you're a leftie, give me a source, burp!") :)

So please retract that statement, or I'll be really, really upset :p

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

What if I just god you that I loved you? :D

10. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

As numerous Republicans and others like to say, a private corporation is not the same thing as government and thus is able to censor what it wants?

Trump is not president, his organization seems to be deemed private/corporate at this stage, so what is the problem?

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Honestly, seeing as he loves to threaten to sue anyone with a spotlight who says anything negative about him, I see this as more of a scare tactic than anything.

12. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Because the guy who lies about and insults everybody who is against him once again shows how thin his own skin is. Work for me for a month or two and never say anything bad about me, my family or my company EVER. He'd probably sue if someone who worked for him, years from now writes a negative yelp review of one his hotels.

13. jerwin macrumors 68000

There's a hefty EULA for votebuilder, but I don't remember any especially egregious clauses.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That's what you get when a businessman runs for public office.

15. Robisan thread starter macrumors 6502

There is no legal problem. Trump is allowed to require those restrictions.

However, let's be clear: If you work for Trump - even as a non-paid volunteer - Trump demands that you waive (and is abridging) your right to speak freely about him, his family and his companies. Forever.

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

As a general rule, this Non-disclosure Agreement wouldn't stand up in court. Trump might possibly sue, but his lawyers would tell him he was going to lose.

Why?

Generally speaking, for a Non-Disclosure Agreement (or any contract) to be valid, it has to be supported by a consideration. In other words: pay, or some other sort of reward you receive for agreeing to sign away your right to speak. And, no, the pure pleasure of making phone calls for Donald Trump's Presidential Campaign doesn't count. If you want to make an NDA enforceable, you've got actually pay someone to sign it.

No other campaign I've ever heard of asked its volunteers to sign such a document. It quite frankly goes against the very concept of political involvement and outreach that motivates most volunteers to give up their time and energy in support of a candidate or cause.

Trump is a revolting excuse for a human being. The sort of ****** that thinks he can bully and lawyer his way through life.

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

18. AsherN macrumors 6502

It goes deeper than that. You can't sign away your rights in a contract. While the NDA can prohibit you from discussing particulars of the operations, it cannot prohibit you from speaking about Trump in general.

19. vrDrew macrumors 65816

A couple of things struck me about the wording on Trump's website for volunteers.

The first of which is how utterly lazy and sloppy the whole thing was. It's pretty obviously the same piece of legal boilerplate that people working for Trump in a personal or business capacity are asked to sign. The fact that Trump either doesn't understand (or doesn't care) that there is a fundamental difference between working for the Donald Trump business organization and working for a Presidential campaign should be worrying.

The second is that it's pretty indicative of Trump's whole worldview, and the way he views other people - especially those who are working for him: That he can use lawyers and the threat of lawsuits to silence them; to make any bad news or negative opinions of him simply disappear. And you see this in the way he treats members of the press who write things about him he dislikes.

I thought Penn Jillette had a pretty good take on Donald Trump:

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

"He was unable to sell steaks in the fattest country on earth." LOL...that sums it up right there.

21. cube macrumors G5

I can't help reading the title as "traders for Trump".