Phone been hacked or compromised?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FortWorthMac, Aug 7, 2012.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Okay......

A friend of mine has an iPhone 4s and I'm his goto guy with tech issues. But I'm at a loss so wanted to turn to the masses here. Today he had gotten several phone calls from a number purporting to be his number. And additionally, today, someone charged $650.00 on his debit card. Needless to say the transaction was not authorized.

His phone is jailbroken.

No idea if the two are related but is it even possibe to spoof a number and or hack into an iPhone?

Thanks
    David

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Let's say your friend's number is 1 234-5678. He is getting phone calls from that same number (1 234-5678)?

Does he store his credit card info right on the phone? If not, there is no chance the $650 is the result of a "hack", thus rendering this a coincidence.

3. BlueGummiBear macrumors 6502a

BlueGummiBear

There are websites available that will let you spoof caller id's for free. He should run a credit report on himself to make sure nothing else has been opened in his name.

4. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, he's getting calls from "his" number. It's strange. Also he said his debit cards number is not on his phone. So that may just be a coincidence.