Phone can't boot from dead state off usb cable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eclipse01, Feb 19, 2012.

1. eclipse01, Feb 19, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Lately when my phone is dying, I try to plug it in at my computer and right away it goes from the battery charge to trying to boot. Once it gets to the lock screen it will instantly shut down and try the process again.

Only way I can get it to actually boot again is to use a wall charger. This never happened before, anyone know whats going on?

I have it jailbroken but very few tweaks are installed

I guess i'm wondering why my phone doesn't charge (on the battery screen) for a while anymore like it used to, now it just boots instantly, did something turn this option off?

2. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I think you answered your own question.

3. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

ok, me and thousands of other people that have no issues...

can anyone give me any real help?

4. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

My iPhone is Jailbroken too. I never let it die and try to charge it from my laptop, but I think it would work.

It spike your laptop is not supplying enough power to the iPhone. What kind of laptop do you have?

5. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

not a laptop (not like it matters) my problem is it doesn't charge at all before it boots, all iphones when they die completely it charges on a black screen for a few minutes then boots, this isn't happening anymore

6. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

So, when you plug it into power, it charges, but when you plug it into your computer- it immediately tries to boot.

Do you have some kind of file system app installed on the jailbroken iPhone, I'm thinking something's happening when it your computer recognizes it.

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If you unjailbreak it does the problem go away?

8. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Isn't it that the iPhone doesn't draw enough current from USB when dead to charge?

9. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I have no issues and i regular calibrate my battery by taking it down past 10% to actual shutdown.

I am then able to both charge via usb cable and my mba, or by wall charger.

And I'm jailbroken !

Makes me smile when a reply immediately jumps to the conclusion that its because your jailbroken. I concur some issues exist due to incompatibility with themes and tweaks but thats accepted in the jb community.

If you remove the jb and the issue does resolve then odds on it was a download so the normal advice is to re jailbreak and add one download at a time to eliminate the stable ones from the issue your having.

I hope you find resolution or it was just a glitch or perhaps you could restore and make an appointment with an apple genius to have diagnostics run on your iPhone.

----------

Im not sure !

When my iPhone 4 auto shuts down due to the battery being drained i can hook it up via usb cable to my mba.

Granted it takes a few seconds to bleep and turn on with the red battery indicator, but it does turn on and charge.

If the usb port is a 2.0 then i don't see any issue.

10. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I know that you get more of a charge from the wall than the computer. However, it's odd that you used to be able to charge a near dying phone and can't do so anymore. It is possible that a jb program might be interfering. Unless you're willing to delete your jb programs, there's no really good way to test this.
    Since you know that your near dying phone needs a wall charge, it's good if you remember this for the future.

11. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

and that has to do with what?

just because you are to scared to give something new a try and open up many more things that your iphone is capable of doing, doesn't mean you have to spam stupid links in here.

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I have no problems with people who JB. I could care less what other people do with their devices. But the truth of the matter is that your problem is most likely due to a conflict with the JB. So unjailbreak and test it. If it's not the issue, take the phone to apple and have it fixed or replaced. If it is the JB, either leave it alone or re-JB and install one "tweak" at a time to isolate the issue. Simple.

13. eclipse01 thread starter macrumors 68020

eclipse01

or I will just keep it alive ;)

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Not sure why all the hate. Did you read the linked thread?

From the link: I have an I phone 4, I jail broke it with redsnow tethered, one night my phone went dead, i tried to reboot when I got to my computer but it will not process. The apple logo just keeps coming up.

You were tethering at the beginning of the month and this guy is too. Considering the zero responses to your post for the same issue in iPhone Hacks the prudent thing to do would be monitor as many similar threads as possible in case something interesting comes up.

But, if you need to be an Internet tough guy and see a personal attack in every response and ignore the free bump then I'll simply reply in kind and add that if by "many more things your iPhone is capable of doing" you mean a reboot loop then no thanks.

15. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

The phrase is "I couldn't care less." What you said implies that you do care at least a little.