Phone completely bricked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by knck out, Jul 27, 2012.

1. knck out macrumors member

I have 4S and yesterday i dropped it onto a hardwood floor. The drop was no more than 3 feet. The phone landed face up right onto the floor, it didnt bounce around or anything, just a straight fall.

So i went to pick it up thinking everything was fine, there was absolutely no sign of physical damage anywhere...so i clicked on the home button to try to turn it on and the screen didnt light up...I then tried doing the hard reset (holding power button and home button) i held down the buttons for about 2-3 minutes and nothing happened.

I then connected the phone to the computer, iTunes recognized it, and for a second i thought i was saved. I clicked on the restore button and the phone began to restore. After about 30 minutes iTunes told me the restore was complete and that my phone should start to turn on....but it didn't

Nothing happened... and it still doesn't turn on

so my question is, did my phone completely brick from a 3 foot drop, without any physical damage? and is there any possible way of fixing this? (Other than taking it to a "genius"?)

Also whenever i plug it into the wall charger or the computer it continuously makes the "connecting sound" over and over again

2. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Screen connector may have disconnected your only option is to bring it to a genius or maybe try a dfu restore.May be difficult if you cant see the screen but give that a try

3. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Like Derek said, take it to Apple and explain what happened. It is possible a connector came lose from the fall, although I've seen maybe people drop their iPhones very hard on accident and have no problems...but stuff happens.

4. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

If there's no visible physical damage, take it in and get a new one. It's still under warranty.

5. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

That happened to me and it happened to be my screen protector. I am somewhat skilled in that field so I opened it up myself and popped it back in. If you are good with that kind of stuff you could try that...or just bring it to an Apple store would be my first call....because you don't know what it is for sure.

6. knck out thread starter macrumors member

Thats the thing, about 3 months ago my screen had shattered so i opened the phone up and did a repair my self, the repair went perfectly fine but i believe any sort of tampering with the device voids the warranty

soo does anyone know if apple has a way of knowing if the device has been tampered with? ...i didn't botch up the repair so everything is where it should, at first glance it looks as if no ones touch the insides, but i was wondering if apple has secret tampering stickers?

7. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I suggest you let them tell you no, its not under warranty. Don't do that yourself.
    At the very worst, they say no and you get to try and fix it yourself. You lose nothing but time.

8. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If you have experience with opening up the phone I would suggest doing that before taking it to the Genius Bar. My friend had a similar thing happen and they just reset the screen connector. If it doesn't work after that, then I would suggest taking it to the Genius Bar and be honest with them.