Phone died what would you do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TsuaSai, Aug 23, 2013.

1. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

My current phone crapped out last night and I am going to go get a new one this morning. I am debating getting a 4s since its a little cheaper and I am paying full retail cost. I would love LTE but I am on straight talk so I wont have lte even if I spring for a 5. I hate buying either knowing the price is probably going to drop in a few months on each model. Considering the 5 mostly to somewhat future proof me a little longer. Camera is probably my personal #1 feature. Money is an object to me but I can currently afford either one just hate spending it period.. Anyways I hate the what would you do threads too. But aside from the size and processor would I notice that much more different between the two to make it worth spending the extra money on a 5?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If you can't get a cheap dumb phone to hold over until the 5S is released, I say spring for the 5. I have a 5 (upgraded from a 4S), and noticed a huge difference. My fiancee still has a 4S, and using her phone just feels like a drastic step down. The 4S is great, but the size, feel, speed, smoothness, everything about the 5 makes it a better experience.

I think you're on the right track with looking to future proof your decision. Technology advances very quickly, the 4S will be two years old very shortly. If it's a phone you'll plan on holding on to for a few years, I'd definitely jump for the 5.

3. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Couldn't agree more here. If I were you I would just check on Kijiji or Craigslist for some local sellers and see if you can get a 4 or 4S as a temp phone until we find out what happens this fall. Worst case scenario, you could still turn around and sell that phone to recoup some losses should you decide to upgrade later on this year.

Your other option would be to go with the best you can currently get since, as Tyler23 mentioned the current previous gen phones are going on 2+ years old now.

4. TsuaSai thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys. I would go the route of getting something older and used but straight talk is all weird about bring cdma iPhone a over which is what I need. With it also being straight talk I wasn't sure how soon they would even get the 5s or if they will. I guess I'll get a 5 and just worry about color now. I would probably buy the 5 even with a new phone out just to save a little money. I guess I get to pay and extra tax for needing something now.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What about going to an Apple store and getting an Out of Warranty replacement? Significantly cheaper than paying full price for a new phone. I believe it's $199 for a iPhone 4S.

Don't know, but maybe you could get an unlocked Verizon iPhone if you need CDMA.

6. TsuaSai thread starter macrumors 6502

I would go that route but I was using an android phone. I want to go back to an iphone. Anyways that all said I don't have a phone to trade in or I would do that in a heart beat ;)

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ahh…that's what I get for leaping to conclusions! :D

You didn't specify what your "current phone" was so I 'assumed' you had an iPhone. :eek:

8. TsuaSai thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I should have said what the current one was. Now its and iPhone though I just got a 5. Sucks being that person who knows something else is coming out but its a good phone either way. Never been the one to have to have the newest thing so oh well.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Lesson: Don't throw away ur only old phone, don't give it away, don't recycle it. Keep it for back up.

10. JAT macrumors 603

Well, just for discussion's sake, can that phone be warranted in any way? If nothing else, you should see what you can get to help your cash situation to afford a new iPhone. Or to wait for a month since the next iphone is supposed to be announced 9/10/13. Even if you don't want the new one, the 5 should drop in price.

11. dave420 macrumors 65816

I can imagine even if I had an older dumbphone that I wouldn't want to use it for a month while waiting for a new iPhone. It's easy to become dependent on the phone for many everyday tasks, and while a smartphone isn't absolutely necessary, it is certainly more convenient to have one.

12. lympero macrumors 6502a

lympero

Buy a galaxy s4. The next big thing is already here :)

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, don't beat yourself up too much. In about 6 hours my wife and I will be at the Apple store buying her an iPhone 5. We'll miss out on the 5S by about a month. That's ok though because the money is here now and it won't be then. So, either a 5 now or nothing.

14. TsuaSai thread starter macrumors 6502

I would love and s4 but it isn't offered on straight talk. There might be a way to root it and get it over but I don't know how to do all of that so I don't really want to mess with it.

Feels good to not be the only one buying a 5 right before the release of a newer version for some reason. Felt like some one would probably be pointing that out to me the the store. But after talking with my sells person I doubt they knew much about phones. What you get for $45 a month I guess.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. If you can't wait, then go for the iPhone 5.