Phone keeps jumping/loosing cell service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bluerocka, Oct 4, 2012.

1. bluerocka macrumors newbie

I am on AT&T and my phone keeps jumping back and forth from 4G to Edge in an area that I know I have 4G coverage. After a while it stops going to 4G and starts bouncing back and forth between Edge and no service. This usually happens when I change locations (go from home to work, work to the gym etc) or when I am in an area where this is no or low cell signal such as having the phone in my pocket or being in a basement.

I called Apple once and all they told me was turn cell data off and on again and then reboot the phone. They also suggested a restore (big surprise) which I ended up doing and then set it up as a new phone.

It seems that many times resetting the network settings will fix the problem, but I don't want to have to do this every time I go somewhere!

Does anyone have a similar problem or any other advice before I go back to Apple and ask for a new phone?

2. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

No my 5 get as good if not better reception than both my 4 or 4S did.

3. bluerocka thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I figured... i put my iP5 next to my dads iP4 and both were on 4G, he had 3-4 bars, i had 1-2.

4. Huliodude macrumors member

Mine's the same as OP, exactly. My iPhone 4 gets better signal than i5. Taking it in to Apple store to see if I can get it swapped out.

5. CmoranRVA macrumors newbie

Had this exact problem on my original 5 and first replacement from Apple store. Got my second replacement today, haven't experienced the problem yet (nor the previous WIFI/WPA2 issue)...

6. Huliodude macrumors member

Replaced my i5 today, new one is exactly the same unfortunately. That seems to be just how they are.

7. Bruins Fan macrumors member

Bruins Fan

Will Apple store's swap out phones even if they were bought directly from the carrier, or Best Buy, etc.?

8. Huliodude macrumors member

I think so, but I did buy mine from the Apple store anyhow.