Phone Randomly Freezing Just About Every Day Now

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mackandproud, Mar 25, 2013.

1. mackandproud macrumors 6502

One of the reasons I bought an iphone was for it's purported stability.

I am a fairly light user, meaning I can get through 2 or 3 days of use per battery charge. I don't use the phone continually all day long like a lot of people.

Nonetheless, I encounter random crashes, at least once a day. This includes apps just stopping out of the blue. On another occasion, the entire screen just magnified into a giant pixelated image, and was unresponsive. On other occasions, the screen just froze.

I am on ios 6.1.2. Is this pattern of glitches 'normal' or should I be concerned enough to bring it into an apple store (I really hope I don't have to do this).

2. SprSynJn Guest

3. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I do a restore? I have both an itunes and icloud backup.

I'm a bit concerned I have to restore the phone after just a month. I don't think a phone should require this action every month.

4. erichess22 macrumors regular

You just get unlucky sometimes. There may be a fault with the phone but you can find that out after you restore it. You can go to settings, general, reset, erase all content and settings. Make sure you have a cloud backup and its up to date

5. SprSynJn Guest

I had to do a "restore as a new iPhone" when I got mine because the carrier messed something up causing my battery life to suffer tremendously. I might suggest you do the same.

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

When this has happened, have you turned the phone off OR have you tried a Reset (hold Power & Home simultaneously, letting both go when you see the apple on the black screen) instead?

If you've done the Reset, please ignore. :) If you haven't, it's easier than restoring and fixes a multitude of funky behaviors.

7. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool. I will try that. Thanks.

8. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

I've turned the phone completely off before several times. I've done a full restore now, so we'll see if this fixes the random crashes and freezes.

I'll try the reset also if I get another crash.

If the phone is still acting up after that, I'm going to go to an apple store about a possible replacement.

9. erichess22 macrumors regular

best of luck to ya!

10. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

Crap. I'm still getting the same crash.

What happens is that the screen just magnifies so that you can only see one part of the screen as if it were under a magnifying glass. The normal swiping gestures don't work.

So I got through one day maybe after a fresh restore. Should I try to get this phone replaced?

11. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

Did you restore as new and then set everything up again? Or did you restore as new then from a backup. Sometimes its something in your backup that is the issue.

If you restored as new without using a backup, then yes, it's time to talk to apple about a replacement.

12. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Sounds like you activated a setting in accessibility that magnifies the screen.

13. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

How did I do that? I'm not sure if I did, since the screen does not allow me to scroll or swipe once it's magnified.

14. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Settings.

General.

Accessibility.

Vision.

Zoom

15. mackandproud thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!