Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
so my first iPhone 4S had to be exchanged on Thursday due to no 3G signal after coming off wifi (even after restores, sim card changes etc).

anyway, i got the phone exchanged on thursday and I thought all was well.

I came to use the phone today for a call for the first time and the person I was speaking to couldn't hear me! I could hear them fine.

I made some other calls to test it and every time the person on the other end couldn't hear me. Speakerphone is fine though.

Done the usual restore etc but nothing.

Will be calling my provider Monday first thing to arrange another replacement.

damn phone

Last edited:

Votekinky06

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2011
so my first iPhone 4S had to be exchanged on Thursday due to no 3G signal after coming off wifi (even after restores, sim card changes etc).

anyway, i got the phone exchanged on thursday and I thought all was well.

I came to use the phone today for a call for the first time and the person I was speaking to couldn't hear me! I could hear them fine.

I made some other calls to test it and every time the person on the other end couldn't hear me. Speakerphone is fine though.

Done the usual restore etc but nothing.

Will be calling my provider Monday first thing to arrange another replacement.

damn phone

If you replace it enough you'll get one that works;)

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Sorry to hear you are experiencing problems
I know how frustrating that can be, but "it" happens :(

Hopefully you will get it taken care of soon and be up and running

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Yeah its not so bad.

Its easy enough to sort out - it's on a business contract so all I did before was call up the provider and they had a replacement shipped out for next day delivery to the office.

Its easier doing it this way than making an appointment at the genius bar.

Still an awesome phone though.

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
I had that happen. I replaced my phone due to grainy speaker issues then got a phone where it was stuck in Headphones mode regardless of restore. Replaced it again then swapped for a White one now.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have had good luck with every model except the 3G. One had bad pixels. Then the speaker didn;t work. Then there was dust under the screen. I was ready to just say "F it all!" but fourth time was the charm for me. Have had every iPhone since and never had problem (outside the one the lady thought needed to be washed with my pants). ;)

Good luck!

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Cheers

I am actually contemplating a switch to a white 4S. That is if the provider will swap out a white one for me. Worth a try.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Got the exchange phone today. Went for a black one.

So far so good no problems found. Fingers crossed.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
I was wrong.

The replacement phone has started saying "SIM FAILURE". Then "INVALID SIM" in the top left hand corner.

I can't really believe its another faulty phone.

I'm using the same sim card that I've had since last October. I will probably have to try a different sim card before getting it exchanged again.

Thoughts?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
It must be the SIM....This trick has worked for me in the past:

1) with a soft sponge and a TINY bit of soapy water, gently wipe the contacts on the sim.

2) Use an anti static cloth to THROUGHLY dry the contacts on the sim.

Ensure it's totally dry, and try it again. If that fails, then a new one will hopefully sort things out.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I had the same issues as your first phone. Genius told me it was sim card so it got that replaced but it didn't help. So I went back and got a replacement and everything is working fine now.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It's a sign from above. Try a different phone. I got 14 for our company and everyone has been flawless. All black 16gb 4s's.

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
Cheers

I am actually contemplating a switch to a white 4S. That is if the provider will swap out a white one for me. Worth a try.

If its the Apple Store your referring to as the provider, then no. You won't be able to swap out the phone for a white one. I will be same size and color as the one your turning into them. And the good thing about it is...Just by for some unlucky reason you keep getting bad phones from the Apple Store, they'll keep swapping it out. So long as its an identifiable hardware issue with the phone.

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Well I think I've figure out what triggers the Sim Failure/Invalid Sim error.

I left the phone on charge over night as normal (phone switched on). No sim error when I took it off charge. I left it while I got ready, phone still fine afterwards.

Then I started using the phone - checking out my usual sites, bejewelled blitz for a few minutes.

Then bam - Sim Failure/Invalid Sim.

It's happening when the phone gets warm.

This also makes sense because it was ok all yesterday afternoon when I got the phone (but wasn't actively using it) then last night, when I wa actively using it - I got the sim errors.

I will try a different sim today but I'm expecting another faulty phone here.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I was wrong.

The replacement phone has started saying "SIM FAILURE". Then "INVALID SIM" in the top left hand corner.

I can't really believe its another faulty phone.

I'm using the same sim card that I've had since last October. I will probably have to try a different sim card before getting it exchanged again.

Thoughts?

Try updating to 9a406; I could've sworn that it was meant to deal with some kind of invalid sim issue

BadboyHouse

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Ok, well I've got some good news on this.

I called up my provider today, but this time spoke to our business contract account manager (rather than tech support). I actually needed to speak to him about some billing matters.

Anyway, during the conversation he asked how things were going with the new contract, I said that everything was generally fine, but that i was now on my third iphone 4S, and it looked like I was going to need a fourth.

To cut long story short, he apologised and said that he didn't want any of his busines customers to have to mess around swapping phones multiple times due to faults etc.

He's arranged to send me a brand new phone (white this time), new sim card, and also get the other phone replaced via exchange. So I will have two phones. Both delivered tomorrow.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Ok, well I've got some good news on this.

I called up my provider today, but this time spoke to our business contract account manager (rather than tech support). I actually needed to speak to him about some billing matters.

Anyway, during the conversation he asked how things were going with the new contract, I said that everything was generally fine, but that i was now on my third iphone 4S, and it looked like I was going to need a fourth.

To cut long story short, he apologised and said that he didn't want any of his busines customers to have to mess around swapping phones multiple times due to faults etc.

He's arranged to send me a brand new phone (white this time), new sim card, and also get the other phone replaced via exchange. So I will have two phones. Both delivered tomorrow.

Haha jackpot! Hopefully you don't have anymore issues.

Last edited:

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
In addition to what Rocko('s Modern Life. Haha.) is suggesting, make sure you have the later build of iOS 5.0.1 on your new 4S. The invalid/no sim issue was a known issue with the 4S on the first build. Restoring as new through iTunes should remedy that problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.