Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audiokeeffe

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2010
My 4s sometimes shuts itself off, without the battery being low. It usually happens when I'm taking a short video or photos. The phone shuts off and the charge battery sign appears, but after a minute or two, I can turn the phone back on and it says 20% or even higher sometimes.....It makes no sense. Today when I was taking a video, it said 1% left, so I quickly connected the charger before it shut off, and it automatically changed to 63% !!!! What's going on with it?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
At end of a battery's life, the meter is useless.

Symptoms of a failing battery: Dies all of a sudden, very quick to charge to 100%

imhereareyou

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
My 4s sometimes shuts itself off, without the battery being low. It usually happens when I'm taking a short video or photos. The phone shuts off and the charge battery sign appears, but after a minute or two, I can turn the phone back on and it says 20% or even higher sometimes.....It makes no sense. Today when I was taking a video, it said 1% left, so I quickly connected the charger before it shut off, and it automatically changed to 63% !!!! What's going on with it?

Did you recently upgrade to ios7?

Battery is failing. Replace it.

I don't think that is it. Mine is a brand new phone and does it at 13% and jumps around quite a bit. I also have the 5 and it did it since the update...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.