Phone stolen, got new phone, Receiving i-message sent to stolen phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vintageapple, Mar 23, 2012.

1. vintageapple macrumors member

vintageapple

I read before that some people, when their phone was stolen, knew that the stolen phone was still receiving i-messages intended for them. I am in a different situation, is this possible?

Here is what happened

1) Phone was stolen
    2) Locked phone remotely, thief turned it off before I wiped it
    3) Purchased new i-phone, de-activated old SIM and activated new one in my phone
    4) Changed all of my passwords (including apple ID)
    5) Probably a week later, got an i-message (on my NEW phone) from random number in my same area code, it directed at a person saying thanks for the new phone and they needed the password for it.
    --> (SO, I am guessing a thief is using my phone, gave/sold theirs to somebody else...but IS that possible?)
    6) I thought it was just some crazy coincidence to a wrong number, did not reply.
    7) A week ago I got another text from the same person about something random to the same person. This person would know they had the wrong number if no reply, there was a few months gap between the two texts.

IS THIS POSSIBLE?? The other threads were saying the stolen phone was receiving the i-messages meant for the owners "new" phone. My situation is me, the owner on a "new" phone, am receiving text messages meant for somebody else on my "stolen" phone (so I think).

PS - To why I did not reply back to the texts: I assumed it was not possible, and just in case, did not want to tip off the thief.

2. Kruzzz macrumors newbie

Kruzzz

Its possible......i dont want to have your friends

3. vintageapple thread starter macrumors member

vintageapple

4. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

Can you still wipe you stolen phone remotely? You might check with Apple Care or go to an Apple store for assistance. Seems you should be able to wipe it using your former Apple ID account.

5. vintageapple thread starter macrumors member

vintageapple

Thanks for the reply, I can't wipe it. The thief turned it off probably an hour after I noticed it missing, so the phone would not respond in icloud. I actually did not cancel my phone service for 2 days after it was stolen, hoping they would turn it on again and the wipe would be processed, but no luck.

I am just trying to figure out how it is possible that I am receiving the imessages that (I assume) were meant for my stolen phone.