Phones Updated?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chazz08, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

Okay, so the title is vague. I couldn't think of a good one.

My question is if Apple updates the manufacturing of their phones when they realize there is a problem with them. For example, on the iPhone 5, many people have had problems with the lock button because of something slipping underneath the button. That's what happened to mine and, of course, Apple replaced the phone, but could it happen again or do they update things like that in their phones as they go? I mean it's something small, so I didn't know if something small like that would be fixable in the manufacturing.

I hope that makes sense. haha.

2. cynics macrumors G3

If Apple establishes there is a defect in part or assembly they will fix it with an updated version of that part.

However if the part hasn't been deemed defective by Apple and don't have a replacement program you'll likely be getting the same part as the one that failed.

3. Mrbobb, Aug 14, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

Title, get to the point: FIXED I5 BUTTON?

Nobody knows the exact answer.

However, there's been threads discussion of, do people prefer new version phones: 3G, 4, 5; or do they prefer the "improved" version 3GS, 4S blah-blah of phones.

New: Gives people the most excitement, IS NEW!

Improved: Bugs fixed? (U will probably be on this camp by ur post)

Remember 4 Antenna-Gate, with the 3-piece antenna. My 4s has a 4-piece antenna so apparently they DID something.

4. stormchaser macrumors 6502

stormchaser

Hasn't the lock button been a problem on all the iPhone series to date ?
    So I would say no they haven't done anything about it :(

5. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

YOU might say that but I have had 6 iPhones and NEVER had a lock or home button problem:mad:

Apple is not stupid and they do get these phones back when defective and over time make changes to avoid it in the future. Saying they have done nothing is . . . not thinking:p

Considering the number of iPhones out there, I am betting the button problem is small in comparison. Anytime you have a moving parts there is a chance for a defect.

6. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've never had the lock button problem either. But when I googled it, it seemed a lot of others were having the same issue, and some random person I met was too. I just asked him about it, and he showed it to me. Same problem. So I'm hoping they've updated it some how in the 5. :)

7. Bear macrumors G3

Actually, it is possible Apple will update parts and not have a replacement program. If only some people have an issue with the button (for example) they might modify it and just replace phones when they break.

The button issue may be a general issue or it may be how some people handle their phones. It's a tough call.

Another example are the people with issues with their lightning cables. I haven't had any issues with either of mine and one of them winds up getting sat on among other things every so often.

8. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Apple is not stupid and it saves them money to constantly change things when they do not work. The button on an iPhone has been around for a while. There will be defects. With as many iPhones out there, you got to take. The number of google hits with a grain of salt.

9. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm going to take that as a, "Yes, Apple would have fixed it." Of course there would be defects, that's stupid to not think so. This problem is almost exclusive to the iPhone 5. So before you start being cynical, please do your homework. I know the lock button has been around for a long time. Since the original, but guess what...they change with each new iPhone!

10. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Sorry but I have been around from the very first iPhone and the home button has ALWAYS had it's share of problems. The 5 is no different. It is not a big deal as they will replace your phone on the spot while it is under warranty, maybe with luck even afterwords.

If you are looking for someone to tell you it is all fixed so you need not worry . . . well Apple has done the best they can but there are no guarantees.:cool:

11. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been around since the first one too, and I've never had a problem. Oh well. The only problem for me is I live overseas in the Middle East. You can't get them replaced here. You usually have to wait until someone you know is traveling. I'm still waiting on my replacement to get back. Luckily there was someone going. If it happens again, though, that'll suck since my warranty will be up in December and I won't be back until April. Here's hoping.

12. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I forget how hard it must be to get warranty work done in some places on earth. I hope you phone comes back, quickly and in perfect order!

13. Chazz08 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I can't wait for it to get back. I've felt lost. haha. Just kidding, but it would really be nice to be in contact with friends in the States more of the time. :)