Photo gaps - disappearing photos in Camera roll, Photostream, and iPhoto

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by elguero, Jun 8, 2012.

1. elguero macrumors newbie

Hello, I have come upon a rather alarming problem. I got the iphone 4s in December and promptly took it on vacation and used it to take hundreds of pictures. A few months ago I noticed that many of those photos had disappeared (now none remain) from my phone's camera roll but that about half of them were on my photostream and the rest I figured were on my iphoto. It turns out that while there are more photos on iphoto, not all of them are there. I've lost approximately 200 photos that I know about. When I say lost I mean they are not on Camera roll, Photostream, or iPhoto.
    I was not happy about the photos being erased from my photostream, nor was I happy about photostream basically just repeating most but not all of them, but now that I have just apparently lost the photos, most importantly the best ones from my vacation, I wonder if I have a defective product and am considering taking it to the Apple Store.
    Any input?

2. jim100uk macrumors newbie

Hi Elguero,

Sounds similar to a problem I posted a couple of days ago:
    My partner and I joined the Apple brigade last Autumn. She takes hundreds of pictures on her iPhone and I foolishly assumed they were all finding their way to my Mac via Photostream - I never checked until this morning when we both knew she had taken numerous photos yesterday and had looked at them on the phone on the way home. So I immediately realised around 20 images were missing when I checked Photostream on my Mac so I attached the phone to the Mac and was horrified to discover 157 photos out of 685 taken over the past 4 months had never found their way to Photostream!! That is pretty shocking especially as we deleted hundreds of older photos from pre February without ever checking!! What buggy bit of software drives this - must admit as newcomers to the Apple stable I think the hype about the products and software is overblown.

Basically you can't trust Photosteam to copy everything between devices. I will be downloading pictures from my partner's iPhone manually from now on. Luckily we haven't lost anything too important as we use cameras for important events.

3. elguero thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. Though I find it hard to believe that the photos should disappear from my phone's camera roll without my deleting them. I'm going to take to the store to see what they say.

4. slecsjug macrumors newbie

It really sucks when deleting my photos by accident.
    Who can help me?