Photo Organization

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gmandell, Dec 10, 2011.

1. gmandell macrumors newbie

Though the new folder organization system is awesome, i was wondering if there was a way to delete or permanently move the photo from the camera roll to the new folder. I find it kinda dumb that the only option is to copy photos from the camera roll. Does anyone know of a way to do this or an app that helps with organizing?

2. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I don't think it copies the files, but rather links them to the original folder, try deleting a photo that you have "moved" in the main photo library and you'll see that it will also disappear wherever you "moved" it.

However, i feel the same thing as you, why don't they just move the file completely from one place to the folder you just made..

3. sjdigital macrumors regular

It seems to me that the rationale for this is as follows. The only photos that are backed up are those in the Camera Roll. If you create a new folder and add a photo to it, it's only a link that has been created (like a playlist in the iPod) and deleting the new folder won't delete the photo in the Camera Roll. Similarly, if you sync additional folders of photos to your iPhone from your computer, by definition these photos are held on both the iPhone and the computer, so accidentally deleting the folder on the iPhone doesn't delete them from the computer - you still have the originals there.

So this system provides pretty good security against accidentally and permanently deleting a photo from one of the additional folders. Only if you delete it from the Camera Roll have you really lost it, unless of course you did a back up that includes the photo in question.