Photodon film on glass MBP (Late 08)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by darwinian, Dec 15, 2008.

1. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I wanted to report briefly about my experiences with Photodon, whose anti-glare film I purchased for my MacBook Pro (Late 2008) to solve the glare problem off of the glass display. I purchased their MXT-MACBP15, which is a 0.0055" thin film with a thin silicon application (to "attach" to the display) that they claim has a surface hardness of 3H and greater than 90% transmittance. They also claim that this is not meant to preserve (or enhance) color accuracy.

On the positive side, reflections are significantly reduced. Light hitting the display is now diffused over a larger surface, making it much less intense spot-wise and much more pleasant.

However, there is a clear optical aberration that is introduced with this film. It looks a light RGB noise filter has been uniformly applied across the entire screen. There appears to be an omnipresence of the film, and the actual screen's contents appear distinctly behind it. Motion of light colors in the background can be irritating. Darker colors are much less affected by this.

It appears that the light from the display is going through a set of refractions that are affecting its appearance, since it passes through not only the actual display interface but possibly air, glass, the thin silicon layer, the anti-glare film, and air again.

I e-mailed them about the problem, and they offered me a store credit in the subtotal amount in lieu of a refund since I had applied the entire film.

However, I cannot recommend the film at all because of this color aberration effect. It's immediately obvious and quite distracting.

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

3. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Thanks for being a guinea pig and letting others know.

Unfortunately, this is exactly as I imagined. Oh well, I'll make sure to keep the lights turned down.

4. darwinian thread starter macrumors 6502a

darwinian

This might sound slightly ridiculous, but I'm considering getting a crystal film from Photodon instead of an anti-glare film. I think it might just reduce glass reflections some.

5. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

Has anyone tried the Anti -Glare Film from Power Support USA ?

6. AluminumMac macrumors newbie

Just to chime in, I have a ViewGuard Anti-Glare Matte Screen that I purchase at www.buyviewguard.com. I picked it up on a recommendation from AppleInsider and it works very well. I don't have the unibody version so I cannot comment because I purchased mine before they had the unibody version for sale. It appears the unibody version fits the entire screen with a cutout for the camera.

7. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

In general, any type of overlay that reduces glare or "enhances" contrast will degrade your display. Not such a big deal on an iphone, but on a notebook it is easy to see your picture going south.

8. AluminumMac macrumors newbie

Below is an online review on Dell's website of a user with a Dell Truelife Gloss display. The reviews are positive and include 3 pictures with the ViewGuard Anti-Glare Matte Screen Protector attached on the right and the glossy screen on the left without the anti-glare screen protector. The pictures are very telling.

http://www.ideastorm.com/ideaView?id...000789AAA&p=11