Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2008
So, was there any word during the keynote today or snippets of second page Apple news surrounding the iPhoto/Aperture replacement, "Photos" app for the mac today?

I know its not due until January sometime, but with the release of Yosemite, you'd think we could get something else? Really curious what this app is going to look like and how extensive the feature set will be. I have aperture right now and am sort of waiting to see if Photos will cover my prosumer needs or if i will have to go back to Adobe.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
No word of the Mac version of Photos. Very telling was that the iMac Retina introduction video shows a pro photographer working on ... Aperture. :rolleyes:

HyperliteG4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
Southern California
No word of the Mac version of Photos. Very telling was that the iMac Retina introduction video shows a pro photographer working on ... Aperture. :rolleyes:

Actually in the video on the main Retina iMac page, the photographer is using Lightroom and not Aperture. You can see the Lightroom icon in the dock at 1:24, even the sidebar controls in the closeup at 0:36 look exactly like the Lightroom screenshots I've seen (I don't use Lightroom, I like Aperture better).

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Actually in the video on the main Retina iMac page, the photographer is using Lightroom and not Aperture. You can see the Lightroom icon in the dock at 1:24, even the sidebar controls in the closeup at 0:36 look exactly like the Lightroom screenshots I've seen (I don't use Lightroom, I like Aperture better).

That's even worse! :eek: It tells you that Apple doesn't have confidence in Photos App to replace Aperture. I had hope...

msandersen

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Sydney, Australia
That's even worse! :eek: It tells you that Apple doesn't have confidence in Photos App to replace Aperture. I had hope...
Given there is no Photos app for the Mac yet, that means exactly nothing. They only had a mockup screenshot to show previously. It is way too early in the development cycle. And in the case of Aperture, it might be embarrassing to showcase an app that is officially deprecated.

joedec

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2014
Cupertino
Given there is no Photos app for the Mac yet, that means exactly nothing. They only had a mockup screenshot to show previously. It is way too early in the development cycle. And in the case of Aperture, it might be embarrassing to showcase an app that is officially deprecated.

That's the part I don't understand. They are still showcasing Aperture;

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

and Aperture is still for sale, in fact its still a top grossing application.

I am curious if "Photos" will be a paid application? Has Apple actually said free?

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
I too find it odd. First we had new Photos on iOS, but without a new desktop Photos.

And now the best consumer monitor on an iMac (pretty wow), but still no Photos app in Yosemite to showcase it.

I just hope that this means there's something really really fantabulous coming...and not just that they've forgotten about photographers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.