Photos App - People

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by m11rphy, Jul 3, 2017.

1. m11rphy macrumors 6502

Hi Guys

Playing around with the new photos app in High Sierra and I have a problem with the people tool. It’s only identifying 4 people but I have many more pictures with other people in. Is there away to add people or make the photos app re scan?

2. RednBlue macrumors member

RednBlue

I'm having the same problem - have logged it with Apple through Feedback assistant.

3. alfon_sico macrumors member

alfon_sico

My issue is with the ability of find unassigned faces. Before that release you can enter in People and you can choose between unassigned faces. Now only could seek for them inside of every photo

4. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

Both iOS 11 & High Sierra betas are still lacking this feature and neither seem to be detecting the faces of new people who have not already been assigned a name. Only those of people who are already named in the People album. This can't be the intended behaviour surely.

5. LarryJoe33, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017

LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

Possible workaround:
    Find a photo with with someone you want to create a group for.
    Click the face of that person and right click - "get info". Click the plus sign and add to faces.

6. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

Thanks, that does work and the new person syncs to iOS 11. Still, there's no way to do this without MacOS, so hopefully there'll be further enhancements to come.

7. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

Yeah, like I said, it's a workaround. Seems crazy it is still missing the control because the functionality is obviously there.

8. CaTOAGU, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017

CaTOAGU macrumors 6502

Yeah, agreed. It's slightly concerning it's still not there this late on in the Beta cycle. If the rumours are correct there's less than a month left to go till a public release. They can bring in things like APFS support for fusion drives in a point release but leaving such basic stuff like this out won't look good at all. If things hold though we'll get another beta on Monday, so fingers crossed for then. Thanks again.

Edit: Actually there is a similar function in iOS 11. If you swipe up on a photo it will give you (amongst other things) a people section, you can give an unassigned person a name there.

9. LarryJoe33 macrumors 6502a

LarryJoe33

I have to wonder if there is a reason for something as simple as a UI "+" button? Especially since it was already there in Sierra and iOS 10. Anyhow, we shall see.