iPhone X Photos captured can they have dates as part of their names ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zillah, Feb 18, 2018.

1. zillah macrumors member

Dear folks

I take a lot of photos by my iphone X for work and I need to download them to my PC windows 10 then organize them.

Normally what I used to do with my Samsung Galaxy S7 I relay on dates where photos captured as dates were shown as part of photos names like below:

20160529_145810

How can I organize a lot of photos based on dates ???

On the iPhone they are organized on locations and dates no issue

Thanks

2. iKevinT macrumors member

I can’t tell from what you wrote if you need to rename them before copying to the PC or if you can rename them after they are on the PC. I’ve never heard or read of any way to rename them on the iPhone, but it’s easy on a PC. Select all of the files so they are highlighted, right click and select rename. Type in the name you want including the date and Windows will rename them all with that name and a number, 1,2,3 etc. If you sort them by date before renaming them by clicking on the date header they will stay in that order when renamed. You can add a project name or description with the date too. I’ve shown that to people at work and they had no idea it was so easy.

3. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

You can organise them using the Exif data and sort them with - date created.

4. zillah thread starter macrumors member

How can I do that ?
    Thx
    --- Post Merged, Feb 18, 2018 ---
    Using third party app ?

5. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I’m sure on windows, within the folders you can arrange items using various sorting techniques and date created is one of the possible options.

I can’t tell you the exact options as I haven’t used windows in at least last 10 years. Someone else might be able to comment on that.

Third party apps aren’t needed. Generally the file explorers show all the data. Again, I’m not too familiar with windows these days. Let’s see if someone else can tell you the exact methods.

6. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Screen Shot 2018-02-19 at 08.55.18.png
    When I have to use Windows I use the wonderful Directory Opus instead of Explorer and it has this feature, and a lot more, built in. It's not free, though.

7. Clogger Suspended

Clogger

This is one of my major gripes with IOS, It would be very handy if you could re name photos on the phone. As of now unless I have access to my macbook I am stuck sending multiple files via email with jibberish file names.

8. iKevinT macrumors member

In Windows 10 File Explorer, click on the View tab and select Details. There should be a column header named Date Modified. Click that header and it will sort the files. You can right click on the header and add other columns, including Date Created. Click on any column header to sort by that item. Click on it twice to reverse the sort order.

9. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

The file names aren’t really gibberish. Just in increments of 1.

10. Clogger, Feb 19, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2018