[Photos] iPad 2 sold out in 45 mins-Apple Online Store Hong Kong; Lines outside shops

Discussion in 'iPad' started by haruhiko, Apr 28, 2011.

1. haruhiko, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The online sale from Apple Store started from 01:00am 29/4 (Hong Kong time; GMT +8) and all models (black and white; all storage capacities; wifi / 3G) were quickly sold out within 45 minutes. :eek:

Also, lines started to appear this morning outside many Apple retailers / resellers. I'm not sure they were lining up for the iPad 2 or white iPhone 4. :confused:

I guess some, if not most of them were scalpers. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

p.s. Hong Kong has the cheapest price tags in the world due to the absence of sales tax.
    1USD ~ 7.8HKD.

2. d4rkc4sm macrumors 6502

d4rkc4sm

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Thanks for the report, been wondering about that. My mother walked into a store in Kyoto yesterday (some kind of authorized reseller, I'm not sure which), and bought one. She said there wasn't any line, and during the time she was signing up for a 3G data plan, which took a while, no new customers arrived. So I was wondering how the demand was in other Asian countries. Or even in other Japanese cities, for that matter!

4. haruhiko thread starter macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Hong Kong may be the strangest place in the world, the stock market has trained everybody into scalpers and speculators. In some local discussion forums, some people reported that they had ordered 30 iPad 2s using 6 credit cards (the limit is 5 for each order).

But I don't really think that at this stage there will be any significant profit for scalping iPad 2s when China will have it (though WiFi version only) on May 6. iPad is not a kind of necessity like mobile phones anyway.

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

But I don't want to go to Hong Kong to buy an iPad!

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I ordered one last night. I knew it will be gone fast but not THAT fast. A lot of people don't buy it for personal use. They buy it so they can sell it for a higher price. I kept refreshing Apple's site since 12:45 and ipad2 was already there but couldn't buy it until 1:09am.

I am glad that i did that or else i wouldn't have gotten one.

7. haruhiko thread starter macrumors 68040

haruhiko

The Hong Kong Business Store was opened for ordering around 12:45am last night, but the white 3G versions were not available. However I managed to change the URL with the model number (MC980ZP?), and successfully ordered a 32GB 3G white version at around 12:47am.

8. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

What's the difference between business store and normal store?

In fact, Apple store haven't update their link when you click the iPad2 icon. If you click that icon at 1:09am; it brings you to first gen iPad. I had to click the word "iPad" under "New to the store" in order to get to iPad 2 purchase page.

9. haruhiko thread starter macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I guess it might be due to your browser's cache, i.e. your browser was not displaying the current changed page. I tried CMD + R (or F5 for windows) several times before I could actually go into the ordering page for iPad 2. The business store went into sale some 15 mins before the normal store.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

The prices are the same in business store. So what's the point of business store?

11. mat4020 macrumors member

But the prices will be higher in China. Almost everyone, including me, in China tries to get their Apple products from HK, the trouble is then bringing it back across the border...

12. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I lined up this morning. Pretty crazy lines. Lots of Asians (obviously). Not one single scalper from what I could tell. Scalpers wouldn't have the store install screen protectors.

That said, I'm sure the scalpers were out in full force at other stores. There is no official Apple store in Hong Kong yet, so the iPad was available through a number of retail chains.

13. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Yea, most name brand stuff in China is much much more expensive because of tariffs. Mainland Chinese come to HK to buy their electronics, line up outside Louis Vutton, etc to buy designer bags and clothing.

If they are caught bringing in new items from Hong Kong, they will be taxed... heavily, or choose to leave the product behind at customs, come pick it up another time.

14. haruhiko, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

haruhiko thread starter macrumors 68040

haruhiko

I think some of them were shocked when they woke up this morning and found all iPad 2s were sold out at the online store so they rushed to the streets to line up.

15. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

That's probably it. lol

16. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

I was lucky enough to get an order through and processed. I ordered 2 of the 32GB with 3G in White. I should have ordered like 4 or 5 of them as many of my friends want them. Shipment date is supposed to be on the 16th of May with delivery on the 19th.

17. haruhiko thread starter macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Yes, I can't agree more!!! Some of my friends told me that they want one on the next day. I really couldn't help.:rolleyes:

I ordered a 32GB 3G White too, but the smart cover in the same order has already been shipped.

18. stylinexpat macrumors 6502a

This gives me a good reason to fly over to Hong-Kong from Taiwan :D