Photos library nearly double the size of photos

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Fontane, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Fontane macrumors regular

I imported 13GB of photos, which should be plenty small to use the iCloud 20GB plan, but my Photos library is 23GB! That's nearly double the size. Not only does it require a pricier iCloud plan, it takes up precious space on my SSD.

I've searched around and haven't found any problems to fix. Seems this just might be the case. Does anyone have any ideas why my Photos library might be so much bigger?

2. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

My Aperture library is 370GB but after importing to Photos the new library is 420GB... Photos added an extra 50GB to mine. I can't actually fit it on my SSD now!

I've looked around and no one seems to reply or have the same issues (other than you!)

My guess is it's thumbnails and previews maybe?

3. Fontane thread starter macrumors regular

The thumbnails are in a separate folder (2GB). The folders I'm talking about are actually only the photos, which makes this so weird. I don't see any duplicated, but who knows. Photos is a pain in the butt. Overall, I'm disappointed with Apple's model of increasing the library (I've seen other complaints with no response), and not offering any iCloud plan between 20 and 200 GB. I'll stick with Dropbox for now and be happy.

4. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

You can also check to make sure you don't have a bunch of items in your Recently Deleted (Trash).
    go to File -> Show Recently Deleted
    If you do you can delete them to see if that recovers your space.