Photos library wants to upload again on new Mac!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Craigy Boy, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Craigy Boy macrumors member

Aloha!

So I've got a new MacBook, restored from TimeMachine back up and I thought all was great, until I noticed that Photos app is uploading my 86gb photo library to iCloud again!

Is there anyway to stop this and make it realise that all my photos are already in the iCloud library?

Or do I just need to delete my actual photos on my Mac, and then download my 86gb photo library from iCloud? (surely not!)

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Is it actually uploading and using up all your upload speed or is it just verifying? If you check Network tab in Activity Monitor, is it uploading a lot? If you leave it to run for an hour or two, how much has it uploaded and how does it compare to the number of photos?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7261407
    There is some evidence that it is just verifying that all the photos exist in iCloud.

3. Fuchal macrumors 68020

It generally goes through, verifies they are duplicates, and the net result is your photos are synced properly.

4. Craigy Boy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys.

It seems to be actually uploading them after looking at network activity, however my actual iCloud storage is not decreasing!