Photos syncing from folder to iPhone all out of order...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bawstun, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

I created a folder called 'iphone camera roll backup" and put all of my original files/videos into it..

they are all left as the default iPhone way of naming photos ex: IMG_001.jpg IMG_002.jpg etc etc. But for some reason even though they are in TOTAL ORDER in the windows folder, they sync (and display) on my phone all out of order. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. The very first photo is the very first photo as it should be, and a few of the last ones when scrolling to the bottom seems to be right, but then it's mostly all jumbled.

They're all there so it isn't a total loss/big deal, but when searching for a photo I know where to find it based on where it was in my roll, date-wise.

is there a way to make it sync so they display by file name like they did in the camera roll before? This isn't making any sense to me.

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

I remember seeing a support article about that. Something by it using date or something now to sort, not by file name? I'm on my iPhone or I'd look for the link.

3. Bawstun thread starter macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Well that's the thing, if it used the date, it'd also be using filename. But there doesn't seem to be any sort of order to it.

All of my pictures in this folder were taken by my phone, so they *are* by date. IMG_001.jpg was when my first iphone camera photo, etc. It goes all the way to 800 something (I take a lot of photos, LOL) but the way they are displaying, for instance, a photo I took just tonight at work is displaying in the middle of the folder, while a photo I took 3 months ago is near the very bottom of the folder. Makes no sense.

and yet on my computer, the folder it's syncing from...all of the filenames are sequential and time-based and display fine before the sync. I can't figure it out.

4. Bawstun thread starter macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Oh, this is annoying me. I tried unsyncing photos until the phone had NO photos at all on it, then resyncing. I even tried mass renaming all the photos and it still insists on syncing in NO ORDER at ALL. This definitely has to be a bug? Unless there's some easy fix I'm missing.

5. Bawstun thread starter macrumors 65816

Bawstun

Anyone? I opened up a ticket on support Apple forums but no answer as of yet.

I recently just tried deleting the photo cache in the folder and all that did was make it re-optimize every photo, which took a good 10 minutes. No dice, they're still all jumbled by date.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

This was the article I was thinking of:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4221

Like you said, probably doesn't apply, but it wouldn't hurt to check the EXIF tags inside of the pictures.