Photoshop 7 OS X on Monday?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacNN noted a MacNytt.com (swedish) post indicating that Adobe Photoshop 7 for OS X would be released on Monday.

As proof, here is a PS7 PDF on MacNytt.com's site which has a disclaimer that the information should not have been released until Sunday, Feb 24th.

Some advances are specifically designed for the consumer-level user, an area that Photoshop has perhaps in the past lost out to Jasc Software Inc.'s Paint Shop Pro. There's also essential support for Windows XP and Mac OS X.

Estimated price $645 US.

U

Unregistered

PaintShopPro?

The primary consumer benefit that has me choose Paint Shop Pro over PaintShop on Windows is price. I don't see that benefit in the new PaintShop.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Re: PaintShopPro?

Originally posted by Unregistered
The primary consumer benefit that has me choose Paint Shop Pro over PaintShop on Windows is price. I don't see that benefit in the new PaintShop.
I heartily agree. I've used Paint Shop Pro for 8 years on the Windows platform, and out of everything I use my computer for, I'm going to miss it the most if and when my iMac finally arrives. I like Photo Shop Elements, but the lack of a good image browser (that doesn't appropriate and copy your images like iPhoto) is something that's sorely lacking. Given the description of the PS 7, it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for... but $600?!??! Gimme a break!

I guess I'll hold out for a carbonized PhotoShop Elements and use that free browser Caffeine Software offers... or pray for hardcore academic pricing on PS 7?

::sigh::

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
Maybe it's true.....

I called Adobe, inquiring into other products and their costs to upgrade. At the end of the conversation, I asked them if they had any insight into when PhotpShop would be released. Naturally, the guy wasn't able to say anything concrete, but he did concede "very soon". So, I told him I had heard possibly Monday, and he slyly responded "Keep your eyes open, keep your eyes open."

So, who knows for sure. But this is a rumor site afterall...

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
like when Clinton said "well that depends on what your definition of 'sexual relations' is"...

ha ha ha... :p

so I guess we'll see on Monday if it's for real or not...

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
photoshop

As for the academic pricing of Photoshop...right now I think I can get 6.0 for around $100. Full Academic Version. As soon as 7 comes out, I'm buying it and Illustrator 10. I have a "borrowed" copy, but for the price, I'd rather be legal.

-Pete

P.S. Now all I need is Pro Tools or some sound editor for OS X, and I will be through with 9.x forever!! Any suggestions on a good wav editor for OS X?

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
I'm just hoping my workplace gets PS7 for OS X upgrade in the mail, which work has no use for, and which will therefore be mine all mine.

It might seem a little farfetched, but that's how I got Illustrator X. :D

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Re: photoshop

Originally posted by ptrauber
As for the academic pricing of Photoshop...right now I think I can get 6.0 for around $100. Full Academic Version.
Where can you buy an Academic Version of Photoshop?!?! The Apple Store doesn't show a price break in the .Edu store.

:confused:

Screamingbeaver

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2001
St. Paul, MN
Academic Super Store...

I've purchased all my software at Academicsuperstore.com they have reasonable pricing on most stuff, not so reasonable on others. I did save a bunch back when I bought the Web Collection.

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
Steal of the year.....

Check out the Academic Superstore....

http://www.academicsuperstore.com/market/marketdisp.html?PartNo=519441&nav_id=&cat_name=&Platform=Any&qk_srch=&

$279 for the Web Collection which has photoshop 6, GoLive 5, Live Motion 1, and Illustrator 9.

Then check out http://www.adobe.com/products/colltech/main.html which shows you the "Technology Guarantee" for those Adobe Products. If you buy the Web Collection during the times listed on the adobe site, you can get a free upgrade to GoLive, LiveMotion, and Photoshop (once it's released - if within the timeframe that they will post).

While it says that Illustrator doesn't qualify, I called Adobe, and they told me that the offer is good for illustrator until April 3.

Oh, and I think that the upgrades will be full versions - not education. But you need a student ID to purchase at academicsuperstore.com

U

Unregistered

A close friend is a Photoshop 7 beta tester. As such, I've seen it in both the OS-X and OS-9 versions. It's well worth the wait, regardless of how long that's taken. The great improvements by OS-X in memory management alone will make Photoshop 7 a must-have. There are some great new features as well. But as of a few days ago, there were still bugs being discovered.

That said, Adobe is doing an excellent job in doing fixes to each successive build. They have an outstanding communications network with their beta testers and are working very hard on fixes.

Frankly, from what I can tell, the Swedish site's rumors about a Monday release are still way ahead of the game. As of today, beta testers had not received notification of a golden master being approved.

Be patient. This is a very complex upgrade of a venerable and most important program. Very soon, our collective patience will be well rewarded. And kudos to Adobe for trying so hard.

cleo

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
Re: Steal of the year.....

Originally posted by Classic
Check out the Academic Superstore....

$279 for the Web Collection which has photoshop 6, GoLive 5, Live Motion 1, and Illustrator 9.

Holy shizznick! Quite possibly too good to pass up!

edenwaith

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2001
PS vs. PSP

If there are supposedly some bugs still in the process of being squashed or were recently squashed, then I hope that PS7 takes a bit more time to be released. If they've waited this long, they might as well polish it off to make sure everything is right. Sounds like the game industry. Some games get rushed out the door too soon to please the customers, but end up pissing them off later on with numerous bugs. Maybe if some companies just make more realistic dates on when they will ship their products. It was ridiculous when there were initial predictions of Warcraft 3 coming out Winter 2000. Even back in 1999 my response was, "Yeah, right." Now look. February 2002 and still Warcraft 3 is not out yet (but I think it is getting close). But Blizzard has proven time and time again, adding those extra months can be worth it. So hopefully the long wait for PS7 will also be worth it. However, why this was about the last major Adobe product to get transferred to OS X is beyond me. If there was any one Adobe product which I thought should have been first to be brought over to OS X, it would have been PS. Once PS7 comes out, I will have to debate whether the upgrade price is going to be worth it just yet. Perhaps I'll have my work buy the upgrade.

When I did use PCs, I loved using Paint Shop Pro, especially the demo version of PSP4 which would still keep running sometimes even after the 30 day trial. I'd love to see a paint program like PSP come over to the Mac. Something with more power than the AppleWorks programs, but not nearly as difficult and overly featured as PS.

Does anyone know if there is a decent image processing program out there somewhat like Paint Shop Pro for the Mac?

L

littlejim

Mac User Magazine (UK)

I've just got the latest MacUser magazine and it has a world exclusive preview of Photoshop 7 www.macuser.co.uk

Not read the article yet - it is saying release is imminent but quotes a release date of April 2002. UK price £450 with upgrade from v6 of £99.

The magazine conclusion? I'll leave you with this ...

"Not only is it late, but it's short of significant additions"

LittleJim
----------

He's fallen in the water

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Re: PS vs. PSP

Originally posted by edenwaith
Does anyone know if there is a decent image processing program out there somewhat like Paint Shop Pro for the Mac?
I think what you're looking for is GraphicConverter. If you're not familiar with it (most Mac users I've met are well acquainted with it), it's one of the best shareware applications I've ever seen on any platform. It originally just converted graphics from one format to another (as the name suggests), but they've added TONS of useful Photoshop-ish features such that it's actually a credible lightweight paint program now, but one which still supports more graphics formats than most people probably realized there were. I use GC almost exclusively when creating simple "trim" GIFs for web sites.

viavoice

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2002
PS7 announcement date: march 8th

Hi,
I've received last week an invitation to an Adobe press point for "the new version of a famous image editing software" on March 8th (I'm an IT journalist)... Obviously PS7. I phoned the press agency and they didn't denied it's PS7 announce.
(sorry for ze grammar, I'm french...)

Ifeelbloated

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2002
some God forsaken place
I agree, mid or near the end of March seems like a more realistic release date for Photoshop 7 for X. I'd rather wait and have a solid piece of software than buy it next week and pull my hair out at all the damn bugs.

pimentoLoaf

macrumors 68000
Dec 30, 2001
The SimCity Deli
I use Photoshop Elements, and it's image browser is a really bad joke. Extensis Portfolio is a perfect replacement, though iPhoto is alright ('cause it's FREE). And with my 3mp digiCam and 500mhz iBook, the combination of PE & EP is rather nice.

Right now, am having a hard enough time figuring all the vagaries of PE to care about PS7 -- along with trying to figger GoLive and LiveMotion (both of which have upgrades on the way).

Maybe when I get an iMacLamp to replace my antique 6100.

IowaMacGuy

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2002
Re: Re: photoshop

Originally posted by cleo

Where can you buy an Academic Version of Photoshop?!?! The Apple Store doesn't show a price break in the .Edu store.

I get our licenses for the school district I work for from K-12 MicroMedia Publishing ( http://www.k12mmp.com/ ). They don't have the best web site for information so call their phone number listed there. Great prices -- one of the gals (Lori McCaughey) there, I believe, is actually one of the people who worked with Adobe to design their licensing scheme for K-12 Education.

Good Luck!

-IowaMacGuy

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Re: photoshop

Originally posted by cleo

photoshop should be at your local community college, tech school, or university book store

...usually 6 should be about $99, and 7 when it comes out, should run $199-$249 academic pricing (if the trend in pricing continues the way i have seen it at the local community college where i live)

this is the one obvious part where os x is not square with all the major apps yet, and i am sure there are a lot of less prolific apps not quite ready for prime time with os x...it seems like os x and the general apps it can run with is a two year process to take the mac market

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
nothing to be excited about featurewise

The new brush tool that lets you paint with a selection of an image (the tomato brush in the pdf) is something I was looking for when I first used photoshop 2.5, it's been a long time coming, I mean it's a feature of deluxe paint and that was out in 1990, maybe earlier.

it was only on the Amiga and Atari ST and later on a very ropey version was out for windows so it wasn't exactly 24bit colour but the feature was there.

The image browser is a straight rip off from Graphic Converter. Infact it's a BAD ripoff that doesn't appear to be as user friendly.

The one feature I'd like to see is a price reduction and for adobe to relax their attitude to OEM deals, I was kicking myself for not buying a scanner when you could get the OEM of photoshop with it, £450 is a lot for something you're just going to use at home, not that Elements is anything I'd even concider.

I'm glad it's coming out for OS X though, I mean I'd prefer protools LE to come out first but hopefully adobe will do some package deals at the applestore later in the year so I can get photoshop cheaper when I buy a new G4.