Photoshop VS Photoshop Elements

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Frost1235, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Frost1235 macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2009
    I guess the title says all.

Since I am a college student, I am elegible for a discount that brings Photoshop down to $200. I would just like to know what are the major differences between photoshop, and elements.

Would I be able to create signatures, edit and clean photos, as well as get rid of things like telephone poles with elements, or should I turn to photoshop for this?

I have also noticed Elements for mac is an older version. Is this a large difference, or would it be better to just pick up elements 6? (Or wait for elements 7 for mac)
  2. Porco macrumors 68030

Mar 28, 2005
    I'd say it depends how tight your budget is. Elements can do everything you list, the full Photoshop obviously does more... if it was me and I could get the full version for $200 (not likely in the UK!) I'd probably go for that, but for the kind of stuff you mention it depends if the difference is worth the extra to you.

I believe you can download trials of both to try out though, so maybe you should head over to and give both a whirl.
  3. chris7777 macrumors 6502

Nov 27, 2008
    I used to have photochop LE and it could only save in one file format. I would definitely recommend checking to see if it has a limitation such as that before buying.

I have heard that there are workarounds for most functions of regular vs elements, but that was CS2 or 3 and not necessarily the current version.
  4. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2007
    Elements is a lot more full-featured than you might think... I can only think of a few things offhand that CS4 can do that Elements can't. And Elements' panorama abilities are something that CS4 *can't* do.
  5. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Feb 12, 2008
    If you are at college, consider buying Adobe CS4 Master Suite (Acrobat Pro, Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop). Earlier this year I picked it up at educational discount for $595 (US).