PhotoStream is awesome!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhoneI, Oct 15, 2011.

1. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Had my daughters birthday party today. Took a bunch of pics on the new 4s. Got home a few hours later, fired up the MacBook and all the pics were in iPhoto already. Really liking that I didn't need to sync or anything.

2. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Sounds cool. So the way it works then is that you copy the ones you want to keep from the Photostream album to a local album?

I am still figuring the concept out a bit. If you take pics they go in the stream and for 30 days you can copy them to other devices. But what if you add pics to iPhoto from a non-iOS camera or Internet pics--do they show up in the stream? And are pictures downloaded automatically or just available for download? The former would eat up a lot of local storage.

3. PhoneI thread starter macrumors 65816

- Yep, you can do that. It also creates an event for all your photo stream photo's for that month. For example, I have an event called "Oct 2011 Photostream".
    - The stream comes from you iOS device that is syncing to the iCloud.
    - The pics are downloaded for you; not just "available for download"

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I am glad you like it. I like it because if we are just taking our iphones not our laptop or desktop we dont need to worry about unsaved photos getting lost.

5. sgrrsh26 macrumors 6502

6. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

There are new options in iPhoto 9.2 which are all active by default. Change them to your needs

Attached Files:

7. PhoneI thread starter macrumors 65816

I think the pics in photostream are available to you for 30 days. Then they get automatically deleted. There is no way to go into the photostream and delete individual pics. Ofcourse if you copy a photo from the photostream to another folder, you can delete that photo (in the new location).

----------

sweet...thanks.

8. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

They are removed from the stream after 30 days. you can purge the stream at any time in icloud.com

9. VydorScope macrumors regular

VydorScope

When they are removed from stream, the stay on your Mac/PC/laptop/etc right? Or do you have to copy them out?

10. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i just tried backing up using photostream thru my PC and they weren't even in a picture format

11. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Yeah, I am a huge fan as well. Between ditching my point-n-shoot and no more need to sync, this is a killer feature for me.

12. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

iCloud has really changed how I use my iPhone. Everything is synched across all my devices, and it's REALLY convenient. Photo Stream is pretty awesome!

13. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

So is photostream part of our 5gb icloud storage?
    Why do they delete after 30 days?
    Once there deleted does that mean there deleted from the iphones camera roll and location on the computer?
    Is the idea to backup the photos from the photostream folder on the computer to another location within 30 days before there deleted?
    What if you don't have a computer but an iphone and ipad, do the photos just delete off the devices in 30 days?

14. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i was wondering this too... what if they delete, then the phone syncs to the folder then they're gone

15. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, the photos stay on your computer after the 30 days.

16. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

If you have iPhoto set to do so, they will get auto-copied into your other iPhoto album, they also go into your camera roll on the iPhone. both of these will stay there until you delete them.

Think of photo stream just as an easy/auto sync, rather than a place to store photos, and you'll get on fine with it.

PhotoStream does not count towards your 5GB limit.

17. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

I have the correct software and all but why won't my photostream work? I have it turned on my phone.

Is it because Im using iPhoto 09?

18. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Is the a way to share my photo stream with friends and family members (like I can do with mobile me gallery)?

19. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

On your mac, go to System Prefs->iCloud, is Photo Stream checked or is it greyed out?

20. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

Yes, it only works with the latest version of iPhoto '11 http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/iphoto/id408981381?mt=12

21. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

No, but your MobileMe gallery is still available until July 2012, so you can upload your photo stream photos there.

22. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

23. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

24. NorfolkMustard macrumors regular

Your Mac also needs OSX 10.7.2 (Lion). Then you'll get the iCloud prefs option

Attached Files:

25. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You need to be running 10.7.2