Picking a monitor for a 12" MacBook, is the Ultrafine right for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GoldfishRT, Sep 21, 2017.

1. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

I'm having trouble picking a monitor for my MacBook and I'm wondering if the LG Ultrafine 4k is the right one or if there's a better option.

I'm not terribly picky about it being hyper accurate but I do have some preferences I'd like met:

Power through USB-C as my 12" only has one port.
    Built in speakers.
    4k resolution or bust. No interest in something with low-DPI
    My desk is small so 27" is a max size, huge monitors please.

Now I know this is the part where everybody says just go for the Ultrafine but I was hoping somebody could point me to a few decent monitors that follow these requirements but also have:

HDMI input

Currently I stream my Xbox to my MacBook and while my local internet is fine there's still some degradation in image quality on fast games and I can only imagine the artifacts look worse on a monitor that will be 2+ times larger than the built in one I have. It seems like I can find monitors that have all but one of what I would really like. I've found LGs that have all of these but no speakers (which is a deal breaker). I've found one with the speakers but no power over USB-C (Dell).

At this point from what I can tell the Ultrafine 4k will be the closest to satisfactory. I went into an Apple Store and was impressed with the image quality, speakers, and the one cable solution but I'd really like to have a direct connection to my Xbox. (and picture in picture would be especially ace!)

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

If you'd rather do without the 500 nits of brightness, Retina pixel density, and P3 colour, in order to gain a larger screen, the LG 27UD88 is another good choice.

3. Mike Boreham macrumors 68000

Beware that the USB ports on the Ultrafine will only operate at USB2 speed. Doesnt matter for some things but if you use external drives might be a show stopper. Since the Utrafine is using the only port, you have no other options for connecting drives.

4. GoldfishRT thread starter macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

Thats one of the options I looked at but no speakers is a deal breaker.

This isn't an issue in my case but, good info nonetheless. Thank you.