Picking a phone number, getting corporate discount

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by maladjusted, Jan 28, 2012.

1. maladjusted macrumors newbie

I'm going to be moving from TMobile to Verizon for a 4S, and I think, since my local Verizon store has an approximately two-week wait (still!) for it, it'd be easier and quicker to reserve it at night then buy it the next day at the local Apple store.

Two things though -- if i buy it through the apple retail store, can I pick my new phone number (I want a new number with my current area code)? I think it would be cool to get the number that once belonged to the house I grew up in, for instance.

Also, if my company offers a discount on the monthly fee from Verizon, can i still get the discount if i buy/activate the phone through Apple? Or do I have to do so through Verizon (store or online)?

thanks.

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You don't get to pick your new number. They'll offer you a few numbers and you pick one.

As for the discount, with AT&T it doesn't matter where you buy your phone. I know you asked about Verizon but I'm with AT&T.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Why don't you ask Verizon about the discount? They would be able to tell you for sure.

4. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

When I first started with sprint (back in 2000) we got to pick our own numbers to an extent (they matched mine and my mothers to have the same last four digits as the house phone). Now not so much, FCC rules changed they said.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Doesn't matter where you buy. You can always add the discount later.

That's extremely unlikely. Each carrier is only allocated certain blocks of numbers. You'll get to choose from a few but it's doubtful that they'll have one specific number available.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The only way you could do this is if you or someone willing to give you that number were still paying the bill for the particular phone line that carries that number today. You can't just go and pick any old number, or a number from your past.

Each carrier gets specific blocks of numbers. If the number is not in their block, then they can't just assign it to you.

You can still get the discount, as Verizon can add the discount after you'd started service. The only drawback is, there might be a delay of 1 or 2 billing cycles before it kicks in.

7. maladjusted thread starter macrumors newbie