Picking up from Fedex

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigress666, Sep 13, 2012.

1. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Ok, if I pre-ordered the iphone, could I just tell Fedex to not even bother delivering it, that I'll come to pick it up? Or will they insist on delivering it (or trying to) at least once before I can do that option (I think UPS actually does insist on delivering it once unless you want to pay)?

And do they let you pick a pickup spot or just where ever their hub happens to be?

2. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

3. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Here we go.....I wonder if you could just drive to the logistics facility and just ask the receptionist for it....

4. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

Sorry, I'm just trying to decide if I go ahead and pre order it. Cause with my job most likely I'll be working that day. If I can just pick it up sometime that day, that would be great. Rather than hope I'll be lucky and I'll be around when they get there. Specially since it's a Friday which means most likely if I miss it than I'll have to wait til Monday (and I'm just impatient like that, heh. Funny thing is I'd almost rather wait til Sunday when I know I'll have off rather than having to deal with maybe having to wait til monday and then hope that I have a schedule that will let me either pick up or wait for the iphone. My schedule varies from week to week so that makes it annoying for scheduling deliveries).

5. TC25 macrumors 68020

6. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I had to go through this with FedEx once. I was leaving in afternoon for a business trip, and wanted to pick up something for it from FedEx distribution center. Was not able to. FedEx (as well as UPS) must attempt at least one delivery, because that's what they must do based on their contract with the shipper. After delivery attempt is made, you can request that they hold it at their facility and pick it up the same day, typically in the evening.

Not sure how FedEx does it. UPS has an Infonotice number that you give them for Will Call. I guess with FedEx, tracking number should be enough. After one failed delivery attempt, call them right away and ask for it to be held for a pickup on the same day.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

This

8. omyard macrumors regular

You should be able to have it routed to a local FedEx Office for free. I've done that multiple times for items coming from Apple. Once it ships look at the tracking information on the FedEx site and there should be an option to reroute it.

9. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

When my MBP was shipped I went on the fedex site and there was an option to have it delivered to the nearest fedex store

----------

You beat me to it! :)

10. tigress666 thread starter macrumors 68040

THanks, cause honestly, looking at Fedex's site, I couldn't tell. It looked like the only way to do it before they tried to deliver it is if you were the sender. Otherwise you had to wait til they tried to deliver it (which is how UPS handles it I think, unless you want to pay a fee or get a paid membership in some program they have).

Plus for some reason I was getting slight memories of people saying that Fedex had special rules for the iphone deliveries so wasn't sure that might be one of them or something.

Looks like I'll try to pre-order then.

11. omyard macrumors regular

You're welcome.

FWIW, you can join UPS My Choice for free and you'll be able to have them hold your package at the local distribution center for free. They only charge if you want them to deliver to another address than what is listed on the shipper and some other options.

12. chele519 macrumors regular

I think if you do this it takes an extra day. I have had a few packages delivered Fedex recently and I was able to call the morning of delivery and have one of them held to pick up on my way to work. The other package they didn't allow it. i think it is something to do with the way it was shipped. One was home delivery and one was ground.

13. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I found this option on UPS, but it said that the package would not be available until Monday the 24th.

14. omyard macrumors regular

I've done it a maybe 4 or 5 times and every time I get it on the original delivery date, but I'm able to pick it up at the FedEx Office store. I also do it while the package is still in transit. If you do it after it's already hit your local FedEx warehouse then you'll end up having to wait an extra day.

----------

It's up to you if you want to risk it, but it should be available on the 21st. They always tell me it's a day later, but it's always available on the original delivery date.

I just moved, but before I did I had all my packages for the last few months held at the UPS warehouse because it was literally across the street from my apartment. Each time they'd quote me the next day, but I never needed it.