Picking up my 5k iMac in the morning, what should I do/check/test?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by semperfimarine2, May 4, 2015.

1. semperfimarine2 macrumors regular

semperfimarine2

Like the title says, I'm picking up my brand new 5k iMac in the morning from Apple! I have my Crucial ram ready to install, hard drive with all my files ready to import, I'm set...or so I think?

What should I do when I receive it to make sure everything is working properly, check to see that the screen is perfect, and/or make sure everything is running OR not running properly?

I'm buying this myself (my first laptop was a graduation gift) so I want to make sure everything is clear before the return/exchange period is up.

Any and all help will be MUCH appreciated!

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I can tell you right now it's not going to be perfect.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Start it up

Login your details, migrate your data and off you go, any problems will be obvious within the 14 day return period and anything else is just looking for trouble.

4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Install your RAM first, then use the Migration Assistant to import your current data. Otherwise after that, just enjoy it and use it as you normally would any computer. There is no sense in wasting time or energy by looking for problems that most likely aren't even there. You have a one year warranty from the date of purchase and if you get AppleCare that is extended to three years should anything ever arise anyway.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You should read every issue thread on this forum and convince yourself that you have all of these problems.

6. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

If a person did that they wouldn't be buying anything on the market today.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

When a person starts off their buying experience with "what problems should I check first" you know where this is going. It's kind of like people who self-diagnose using the internet and convince themselves they have medical issues.

8. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Having a small suction cup handy when you try to open the RAM door to install your new memory can be helpful. Really.

9. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I would just switch it on and let your jaw drop looking at the screen first.

Before you start mucking around adding RAM.

And I would also suggest thinking twice about doing a migration unless you're sure your previous machine was set up perfectly. A clean setup (reinstalling the apps you need) and then a data transfer of your documents almost always results in a better installation with fewer problems.

10. AlifTheUnseen macrumors member

AlifTheUnseen

Maybe, but then again, they say a fool and his money are easily parted. And I had given money to Apple for the super-noisy PowerMac G4 (later on, the PSU was exchanged by Apple) and my 2009 iMac died thermally…. thus, some checking with reality and disabling the reality distortion field is advised.