Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottyboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Here it is - I have had this iMac for a while - its my second one.

First time I have seen this on this machine. I know people here will say I am complaining but seeing this tonight nearly tipped me over the edge.

I have learned to live with the gradient problem on my second iMac but this is too much.

IMG_0002.jpg

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
Is this on the back of the glass? If it is you might be able to pull of the glass, clean it, and then put it back on.

scottyboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks for asking and the suggestion - yes its on the back of the glass.

It actually has started disappearing, and is almost gone as I am using it now - just a little left in the bottom corner. It has taken about an hour and a half.

This does concern me.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
What are your use habits?

Do you use the iMac and then turn it off?

How long is it on/off?

What is the humidity level where it the iMac is placed? What are the Temperature extremes? high/Low?

Is it in a basement?

These things are not airtight, and high humidity can cause this.

We at times have a moisture problem here, though I have never seen what you are seeing on electronics.

Winter time sees a lot of extreme temp changes as we live in an old farmhouse. We have dehumidifiers installed and in the winter time we have installed a heater for the computer room. Not much heat, just enough to keep temps up to prevent things like this.

I would try turning it on and leaving it on for a few days, this should help to 'cook off' any moisture.

I tend to think this is an installation issue, obviously moisture has made its way inside the iMac.

I cannot think of anything inside an iMac that could cause this, can you?

EDIT: LCD = Liquid Crystal Display ( hmmmmmm - can an LCD leak? )

scottyboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
It is definitely moisture - no doubt about it.

Thats quite a lot of questions! There is not doubt in my mind this was caused by a change in weather conditions. It has been fairly humid here - i had the aircon on in the room. The imac was fine when it was in sleep mode - as soon as turned it on and it started heating up and just started fogging - I put it back into sleep mode just so I could photograph it.

The conditions are nothing abnormal - I knew these questions would come up - the room is comfortable for me so it should be fine for the imac. Now if all my lcds and tv's where fogging up I can see the problem - but this should not happen. I have just lost confidence in the machine.

What are your use habits?

Do you use the iMac and then turn it off?

How long is it on/off?

What is the humidity level where it the iMac is placed? What are the Temperature extremes? high/Low?

Is it in a basement?

These things are not airtight, and high humidity can cause this.

We at times have a moisture problem here, though I have never seen what you are seeing on electronics.

Winter time sees a lot of extreme temp changes as we live in an old farmhouse. We have dehumidifiers installed and in the winter time we have installed a heater for the computer room. Not much heat, just enough to keep temps up to prevent things like this.

I would try turning it on and leaving it on for a few days, this should help to 'cook off' any moisture.

I tend to think this is an installation issue, obviously moisture has made its way inside the iMac.

I cannot think of anything inside an iMac that could cause this, can you?

EDIT: LCD = Liquid Crystal Display ( hmmmmmm - can an LCD leak? )

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
It is definitely moisture - no doubt about it.

Thats quite a lot of questions! There is not doubt in my mind this was caused by a change in weather conditions. It has been fairly humid here - i had the aircon on in the room. The imac was fine when it was in sleep mode - as soon as turned it on and it started heating up and just started fogging - I put it back into sleep mode just so I could photograph it.

The conditions are nothing abnormal - I knew these questions would come up - the room is comfortable for me so it should be fine for the imac. Now if all my lcds and tv's where fogging up I can see the problem - but this should not happen. I have just lost confidence in the machine.

It is the installation more than the iMac itself.

If I were you, I would lose confidence in that room and not the computer.

The iMac has shown you a symptom of a problem.

The iMac has a glass panel in front of the LCD panel, I can see it occurring with changes in humidity/temperature. It will show this before anything else in the room will.

We made our computer room sort of climate controlled to avoid just this.

We have 4 systems and 2 TV's in the room. We used to shut everything down at night and fire it all up in the moring. ( in an effort to say pennies on the electric bill ) We saw moisture such as this on some of the equipment and found placement was an issue.

Once we insured the room was at a steady temp, this all went away.

Like I said, it's you installation/location more so than it is the iMac itself.

I have a desktop Windows PC here, it will do the same thing inside the computer itself if you look for it. Of course the iMac is in front of you and you cannot help but to see it.

Consider this, if it is happening on the iMac it is probably happening in other devices in the same room. You just can't see it, but over time you may well experience the effects of it.

Think of it like this.

If you put a thermometer in your mouth and it shows you have a high fever, do you blame the thermometer?
The iMac has shown you have a moisture/temp problem, fix the problem and the iMac wont show it to you anymore. Get rid of the iMac and the problem is STILL THERE.

Bottom Line: the issue is with your room/climate, not the iMac.

cyberjunky

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
I have double glazing in my bedroom and when i wake up in the morning i get a lot of condensation on the window in my bedroom, without any proper ventilation in my bedroom it no doubt comes from me, as you breath you build up vapour in the room, without proper ventilation can increase humidity ever so slightly, it actually started a small mould growth on my window ledge, since i started opening my window every single morning i no longer have this problem, so i suggest just opening your bedroom window each morning when you get up.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
same same

It actually has started disappearing, and is almost gone as I am using it now - just a little left in the bottom corner. It has taken about an hour and a half.

This does concern me.

I had the exact same problem when I first fired up my iMac too. Living in Singapore we have almost 32˚C + 100% humidity as a constant.

Once I started using a fan rather than aircon the prob has not (yet) resurfaced. I guess the quick cooling metal collects moisture, which then evaporates as the machine heats up and steams up the glass?

Dunno. Best bet would prob be to get a dehumidifier.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
I've seen people complain that this is a design flaw, or that the machine is somehow not designed well. That's simply not the case, well except that an integrated computer / monitor is a silly idea for this and many other reasons, but that's besides the point. The fact is that there is nothing that can be done to fix this from a design point of view short of a) sealing the entire machine in a vacuum making it impossible to repair or upgrade it or b) installing environmental controls such as heat / ac / fans so that high humidity areas won't result in this problem. Both options won't work for obvious reasons. This is not an LCD monitor or TV. It is a "hot" running computer sandwiched in with an LCD. You can't compare the two devices. If you took the "computer" part of your iMac out and left everything else the same and just ran the LCD you wouldn't get the condensation.

A de-humidifier would certainly help, and honestly, if you are having that much condensation, you would get a lot of other benefits from running a de-humidifier. For example, it will take a lot of the "chill" out of the air, and possibly even allow you to lower your thermostat a degree or two.

jerry1

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2007
What others have said is true. It's the environment...not the iMac. The old matte screens did not have a glass pane. Cold/Still air and high humidity is not a good combination for such things.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
It's a design flaw.

Apple can't control the environment, true, but this is a widespread problem and Apple was more concerned with asthetics than condensation. That being said, you're going to have to move the computer around to different rooms and see where it likes it best. Or stick a dehumidifier behind your desk.

Is it in direct sunlight? I wouldn't think so but if it is, that may be a problem. I'm sure there's a place in the house where your iMac will be happier. Next to a radiator/away from a radiator. Below an AC vent/away from an AC vent, etc etc.

Good luck! I was considering a 24" iMac because of that delicious screen but this would drive me batty. Rest assured you're not the only one. Although considering there's no recall of safety warnings I believe it won't pose any performance threats.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
It's a design flaw.

Apple can't control the environment, true, but this is a widespread problem and Apple was more concerned with asthetics than condensation. That being said, you're going to have to move the computer around to different rooms and see where it likes it best. Or stick a dehumidifier behind your desk.

Is it in direct sunlight? I wouldn't think so but if it is, that may be a problem. I'm sure there's a place in the house where your iMac will be happier. Next to a radiator/away from a radiator. Below an AC vent/away from an AC vent, etc etc.

Good luck! I was considering a 24" iMac because of that delicious screen but this would drive me batty. Rest assured you're not the only one. Although considering there's no recall of safety warnings I believe it won't pose any performance threats.

Please explain how they would go about resolving this design flaw. If you read my post you'll see my opinion.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
It's a design flaw.

Agreed. This is a design flaw, whatever way you choose to slice it.

Unless the iMac is used in extreme temperatures, there should be no reason to accept this.

I get the same problem with my iMac sometimes. In fact, Apple are looking it to it just now.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Agreed. This is a design flaw, whatever way you choose to slice it.

Unless the iMac is used in extreme temperatures, there should be no reason to accept this.

I get the same problem with my iMac sometimes. In fact, Apple are looking it to it just now.

If you can't explain how to fix the "flaw", you can't say it's a flaw.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
Please explain how they would go about resolving this design flaw. If you read my post you'll see my opinion.

More ventilation in the iMac case is my first thought. It's the combination of the glass, the thin case and loads of heat that allows water vapor to cling to the inside of the screen front.

I understand what you were saying, but unless Apple describes this as a 'feature' then what they post on their tech specs for the iMac should hold true:

Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -40° to 185° F (-40° to 85° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum altitude: 10,000 feet

I won't go into relative humidity vs temperature because I'm no meteorologist, but suffice to say that this isn't an acceptable result when you turn on your computer.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
Seal the screen. Simple. Solved. Duh.

And yes, I agree, it's a flaw, a glaring, ugly flaw.

The "screen" is sealed. It's the case that contains both a heating device (computer) and a big glass panel that's the problem.

More ventilation isn't going to help unless you leave it on all the time or combine it with AC / heat / or de humidification.

I agree that it's a flaw only in the sense that combining the cpu and monitor is a terrible idea.

And while I can't prove it, I can almost guarantee you that the condensation pictured above occurred outside the 95% max humidity range specified.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
I am indeed. Yes, it has been quite cold lately. You came back from school in Glasgow to Aberdeen?

No, sorry... what I wrote was confusing. I'm from the States. Finished up at Glasgow Dental and back home now in Texas. Sunny and hot over here! But I know Aberdeen gets the cold right about now. Baltic!

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
I wonder if that anti-fog stuff for car windshields would work... or if it'd change the way the display looks. Granted, you'd have to put it on the inside of the glass, but it'd be neat to know.

arnette

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2002
Manhattan Beach
I agree that it's a flaw only in the sense that combining the cpu and monitor is a terrible idea.

That's definitely the source of the problem. But the older style flat panel iMacs (they were more squared off and I don't think had glass fronts) didn't have this condensation problem. It's livable, I'm not saying Apple needs to recall the entire line or anything, but I think they should acknowledge the problem on a case by case basis and help customers solve this issue. Be it a replacement unit, store credit compensation, a big hug...whatever.

Which, as far as I know, they are doing so the whole thing is moot. Suffice to say it's put me off buying a whopping 24" iMac until I talk to some people in my city and see if it's an issue for them.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
That's definitely the source of the problem. But the older style flat panel iMacs (they were more squared off and I don't think had glass fronts) didn't have this condensation problem. It's livable, I'm not saying Apple needs to recall the entire line or anything, but I think they should acknowledge the problem on a case by case basis and help customers solve this issue. Be it a replacement unit, store credit compensation, a big hug...whatever.

Which, as far as I know, they are doing so the whole thing is moot. Suffice to say it's put me off buying a whopping 24" iMac until I talk to some people in my city and see if it's an issue for them.

I agree with you.

But I also agree with the person above that pointed out that if this is happening then it's an indication that you have a humidity problem that you should deal with anyway for the sake of your other electronics.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
arnette said:
That's definitely the source of the problem. But the older style flat panel iMacs (they were more squared off and I don't think had glass fronts) didn't have this condensation problem. It's livable, I'm not saying Apple needs to recall the entire line or anything, but I think they should acknowledge the problem on a case by case basis and help customers solve this issue.

Realistically speaking, what can Apple to " on a case by case basis and help customers solve this issue. "

A whole house makeover? :D :D :D ( just kidding - don't get upset! )

I have an Apple 24" iMac, and have not seen this issue?

Why? Well years ago I saw this issue on other devices and realized that *I* had a problem, not those devices. I knew that if I did not resolve this issue, those devices would develop a problem over time. We would have a transmitter turned on until late at night, turn it off and early in the morning see condensation. Yeah OK, I could have blamed those devices, but what good would that have done.

The OP has a humidity problem, and it should be resolved. Sure he can return/sell/dump the iMac but the problem will remain. Over time it will worsen for him, and possibly cause serious damage to the home.

You saw the previous poster talk about 'double paned' windows and the humidity causing a 'growth'. That growth was mildew, mold or some other unwanted matter.

To the OP:

Go ahead, get rid of the iMac, but you should also get rid of that humidity issue as well. Given enough time it may well show up in another form.

John Williamson

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2008
Here it is - I have had this iMac for a while - its my second one.

First time I have seen this on this machine. I know people here will say I am complaining but seeing this tonight nearly tipped me over the edge.

I have learned to live with the gradient problem on my second iMac but this is too much.

IMG_0002.jpg

Your iMac is trying to tell you something, you have excessive moisture.

Think of the iMac as 'the messenger'.

I am curious ... the moisture seems to be heaviest on one side.

What is that side closest to, window? air conditioning vent?

You don't kill the messenger just because you don't like the message!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.