Picture of Gold v/s Silver side by side comparison.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ET iPhone Home, Sep 25, 2013.

1. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I was able to finally visit the Apple Store for a side by side comparison of the Gold versus Silver 5S. It's true what some have posted here that the gold is not as gold as some photos portrays it to be. At a distance, you really can't distinguish between the two colors. Therefore, imo, the gold is not as flashy as some claim. I guess it's all relative. An elderly woman beside me even mentioned that the gold 5S wasn't that gold enough. Anyway, here's a side by side comparison for those interested.

The Gold is very nice and I'm waiting a month, if ever, for Apple to sell the factory unlocked version. Otherwise, I may go with ATT, T-Mobile or Verizon. I just don't know which is best.

It would've been nice had Apple made the Gold uniformly without the white contrast on the front and back. The Gold is a very nice conservative shade of gold.
    Gold_Silver_Comparison.jpg

2. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

If silver was the only color available, I would get a galaxy. I can't stand that color. I don't know why :)

Thanks for posting the pics!

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

Why are you waiting for them to sell a version that they already sell?

You're aware the the T-Mobile unlocked and Verizon iPhones that they sell are all factory unlocked right?

4. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

I have a silver 5 and will be getting a silver 5s :). Gold, no thanks. Space grey, maybe.

5. kenknotts macrumors 6502

Love my gold and that its subtle. If it were darker and really GOLD, it would be cheesy and blingy.

6. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm not to clear on that yet. I've read from one thread here and have read people's mixed opinions on the definition of unlocked. I want a "factory unlocked" version not tied to any carrier. I was told by an Apple rep. in store today that it should be out by mid-Oct. Not sure how reliable that info is though. I was also advised by someone here in the forum that a Verizon unlocked purchased directly from the Apple Store full price is the best choice, since it is CDMA/LTE/GSM compatible to all networks and carriers - ATT/Verizon/T-Mobile, which makes sense. But the CDMA part is what I question since networks internationally are majority GSM.

7. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

If I had a need for the 5S, I'd actually get it in Silver or Gold. Both are nice as I'm leaning more towards the Silver. The gold I'm purchasing is not for me. Anyway, I'm holding my upgrade for the 6.

8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Fashion over function FTW :rolleyes:

9. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

There are a lot of threads on this, so i understand it can be confusing.

The Verizon phone is the SAME EXACT model as the AT&T and Tmobile phone, so ignore the CDMA crap. Even the AT&T and Tmobile phones have CDMA capable radios in them, but they are disabled naturally. And it doesn't even matter if its CDMA, the CDMA versions still will work with overseas GSM networks seeing how it has a sim card slot and is the SAME EXACT model as the ATT/Tmobile phone. Not to mention the iPhone is marketed as a world phone, meaning it will work all over the world no problem. Plenty of people with Verizon phones go internationally and roam just fine.

A] all Verizon iPhones will have their SIM unlocked. Its an FCC mandate. So you can buy a $199 iPhone or a $650 iPhone, both will be SIM unlocked.
    B] All full price AT&T and Tmobile iPhones sold at the apple store for $650+ are SIM unlocked. You might have to restore thru iTunes, but they will be unlocked. Walk in, ask for a Tmobile or AT&T phone "DEVICE ONLY" and be on your merry way.
    c] the only thing you need to worry about it not being unlocked is if its been bought at a brick and mortar ATT or Tmobile store.

Apple reps are not going to confirm that full price phones are unlocked because technically they can only sell the phone that is labeled "unlocked" as unlocked, and that phone is not out yet.

For the record, i bought an AT&T 5S "Device only" on launch day at an apple store 32GB. Paid $750+ tax, and plugged into iTunes. Was unlocked the second i hit restore. There are about 50,000 more threads with people having similar stories.

10. ET iPhone Home thread starter macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I agree. The gold tone on the 5S is very subtle. As mentioned, I wish Apple had made the entire 5S Gold. Does the white contrast bother you? The contrast on the silver looks acceptable.

11. kenknotts macrumors 6502

I like the gold/white contrast. Not sure I would have liked a gold face

12. DoofenshmirtzEI macrumors 6502a

DoofenshmirtzEI

I'd like to see the backs of the Space Gray and Silver side-by-side. Looking at the back of my newly arrived Space Gray, the metallic part looks... silver! I'm wondering if it is the same shade as the Silver phone. If so, they're identical except for the white and black areas.

13. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

They're not. The silver is much lighter.

14. user-name-here macrumors 65816

As hard as it was for Apple to make the white paint needed for the iPhone 4... I couldn't imagine them trying to make gold work :eek:

15. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Hi,

I am wondering why you didn't take front photos of the phones. Not trying to be a jerk, would just like to have seen a front shot. But no harm done. Thanks for the picture.

16. skafia macrumors 6502

skafia

I guess it would have been hard to lay them out flat on the back with the anti-theft device attached.

17. Jman13 macrumors 68000

If the gold 5S had a gold face, that would be utterly hideous. As it is now, it actually looks classy and understated. With a gold face it would be gaudy and, well, ugly. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

Then again, I have my gold 5S in the Apple brown leather case, so it looks like a leather iPhone with gold accents. Looks quite nice.

18. djc6 macrumors 6502

The OP is trying to illustrate the differences; the front of the phones are indistinguishable (both white).

19. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

Not really. ;). If you had to pick between two cars, one is bright pink, more reliable, and just a better car in general, or a black functioning car but not as nice, which would you pick?

That silver to me is the bright pink. I hate it. :)

20. noobinator macrumors 601

Ring around the home button is different.

21. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

http://www.luckyskins.com/iphone/iphone-5-5s.html

22. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

The slate grey one doesn't require that funny looking external antenna.

23. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

It depends on how you look at it... I use one of their skins which is super thin yet adds nice protection (obviously not drop protection). After a year with a wrap being on the sides and back of my 5, it looks brand new, not a scratch on it... they do make clear as well.

24. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

i gor a space gray one, that's what they had when i walked in. black front seems to make the screen brighter.