Picture of my macbook. Take it to apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macsforcollege?, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Macsforcollege? macrumors regular

I attacted 2 pictures. they arent the best but it might be good enough. Both are showing the left side of the macbook, the side where the USB drives/charger is. One picture is showing how it looks. then another shows me pusing it and it goes in. I think that it shouldnt be like that. I am able to push it inwards. the opposite side i cant push it inwards and it looks more attached... does everyone have this or is it a problem? im going to school so i dont want to wait until it gets worse.. What would apple do for this?

for the 2nd picture, look where my thumb is and its pushing it in and you can see what it should be like because im pushing it in.

Attached Files:

2. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It is still under warranty or do you have apple care? I have seen this in a couple of MacBooks, and I think they will replace the case parts, as long as it doesn't look like there was accidental damage...

3. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

yea i have both.. its a new macbook. less then 3 weeks old. i have an appt tomorrow.. does it take long to fix??

hopefully they will fix it right then and there. dont want to ignore this. otherwise i will keep pushing it and it will get looser.

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Actually that is normal. The screw on the left side is just cosmetic, and does not tighten.

5. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Yes mine is like this, my friends is like this. It's called plastic ;)

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Its normal! It doesnt press in from the right side because of the optical drive!

8. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

They're all like that. You keep pressing it, and it's going to break...STOP IT!

9. Macsforcollege? thread starter macrumors regular

good. saved me a trip to go to apple. yeah i wont press on it anymore. did yesterday, but i will stop now.. no more pressing..Thanks!

10. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

It is not going to break by pressing on it. :cool:

11. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Initially no...but it's like that spoon thing, you keep bending it back/forth it'll eventually snap...it is plastic [sorry... POLYCARBON]. But that stuff can too...

12. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

I have a white MacBook (about 2 years old now) and recently had to take it in for service because of the screen. This was at an authorized Apple dealer, not an Apple Store. My MacBook also had the squishy left side, but, it didn't bother me and never became a problem.

When I got my MacBook back, the technician told me that in addition to replacing the screen, he also replaced the entire keyboard/trackpad as well because he noticed it wasn't attached well on the left side. Lo and behold, no more squishiness on the left side, plus I have a brand new keyboard and trackpad! So, it is possible to fix this, I think Apple just doesn't want to.

I'll bet if I took this into an Apple Store, they never would have fixed that problem and just fixed the screen. If you can find any legacy authorized Apple dealers in your area, try going to them first, they are much more willing to fix stuff than Apple is while it's still under warranty.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

mine does that too but i still dont understand how people get so worked up about it

14. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Some people will not scratch their macbook in 5 years, so they definitely don't want to buy a brand-spanking-new scratched one.

15. blownco macrumors regular

blownco

16. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

I have the same thing, but I don't think it's wrong since it is plastic. There could be some improvement in the next generation macbooks though.

17. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

its annoying - especially for someone with OCD (obstructive compulsive disorder):D

18. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

yeah maybe they'll fix it along with adding a faster core 2 duo and a more powerful when snow leopard is released (which i am REALLY looking forward to) maybe they will also add 64bit support for bootcamp.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

normal and same here. doesn't bother me either.

20. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

bootcamp supports 64-bit for vista.

21. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Only for Pro Apples!

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's normal--as said, the left side are fake screws.

23. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

No, not for macbook I tried the 64-bit installers from the OS X disk (of course with 64 bit vista), They don't work. There are reports though that it does work on the mac pro