Picture Quality "Old" HV30 vs New HFS 11, Panasonic TM300

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jgraider, Feb 23, 2010.

1. jgraider macrumors newbie

I'm a new member here, and have learned alot already. I'm wanting my first HD camcorder to shoot outdoor stuff like kid's games, hunting, fishing, vacations, etc. Nothing too technical.

I know many people really like the HV30, and I like what I've read:
    1. simple
    2. great pic quality
    3. easy editing
    4. instant archive
    5. viewfinder

I like what I read about the newer AVCHD models like the HF S100, Pany Tm300, etc. primarily for the supposedly better pic quality over the Hv30, no moving parts, reliability, etc.

My main questions for you experienced users are:
    1. Is the picture quality of the new models much improved over the HV30? Picture quality is my #1 priority.
    2. Is the viewfinder or lack thereof, a pretty big deal when shooting outside in direct sunlight? I'd think having one is a great feature.
    3. Editing is not my #1 objective. I don't mind plugging it into my 55" HDTV and just watching.

I'm open to suggestions, different camera models, etc.
    I very much appreciate the help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Try considering adding the name of the camera model to your thread title.
    That might get the attention of users of that camera.

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.Have you also taken a look at MRoogle, since that question may have been asked several times?

Also as much as I like eye-view-finders (EVF) on small cameras it is kinda lost, due to the rigidity and location of it.

Also, what is your question in point 3?

3. jgraider thread starter macrumors newbie

In #3 I guess I was being redundant. I just want to stress that 90% of my shooting will be outdoors, and I'm wanting the sharpest, brightest HD pic I can get for less than $1200 or so. The reviews on various sites are great, but very, very confusing. I'm just seeking advice from actual users.

On the viewfinder thing, are you saying that the newer viewfinders will get the job done in the direct sunlight? My old Elura 100 has a viewfinder and I used it quite often due to the glare.

Thanks again for the help.